Claudia is a partner of the Dispute Resolution practice in Baker McKenzie's Bogota office. Since 2010, she heads the Dispute Resolution practice group in Colombia. She has advised and represented foreign and local companies on all aspects of dispute resolution for more than 19 years. She is a highly-regarded expert in transnational litigation, domestic and international arbitration in Colombia. Additionally, she sits at Baker McKenzie's (i) Latin American Dispute Resolution Steering Committee and (ii) Global International Arbitration Steering Committee.
Claudia has been ranked by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 as an expert in the field of dispute resolution. According to these publications, the group led by Claudia "'generates absolute confidence’ according to clients who highlight the team’s ‘efficiency, agility and commitment’, ‘broad market knowledge’, and ‘careful follow-up of cases", pointing that "It is led by the ‘expert’ and ‘deeply involved’ Claudia Benavides whose ‘intelligence, diligence and acuity to foresee legal risks’, make her a stand out legal adviser.” Chambers and Partners Latin America notes that "Claudia Ines Benavides Galvis is praised by interviewees for her "wide knowledge of the area, precision and in-depth background" in the field of dispute resolution." She has been ranked Band 2 in Chambers & Partners' individual ranking and in the "Leading Lawyer" listing by The Legal 500. Also, the prestigious publication Who's Who Legal: Arbitration describes her as one of the world experts in arbitration. The team led by Claudia is ranked Tier 1 in the prestigious directory The Legal 500.
Claudia has been actively involved with academia. She regularly speaks in important national and international conferences and she is the author of several articles related to her practice.
Claudia has an extensive experience handling complex litigations and arbitrations related to construction and infrastructure projects, multimillion stock purchase agreements, post-acquisiton disputes, disputes in the energy sector, distribution and supply agreements, insurance, transport, shipping law, unfair competition, product liability, insolvency and breaches of contract.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully represented a major Chinese company in arbitration proceedings filed by a major Colombian company pursuant to the civil works contract entered into between the parties for the constructions of a power plant with value exceeding USD 45 million.
- Represented the subsidiary of a major British company in a dispute that provided for international arbitration seated in New York regarding breach of a multimillionaire stock purchase agreement of a Colombian company, under ICC rules. She obtained outstanding results for our client, with an estimated value of USD 60 million.
- Represented a major French company in international arbitration proceedings, under ICC rules, seated in New York, regarding the disputes that arose for alleged breach of representations and warrantied within an interest purchase agreement of a Colombian company, valued at around USD 24 million.
- Successfully represented a major international consortium in international arbitration proceedings against a state owned company regarding the breach of an EPC contract for the engineering, acquisition, construction, installation and commercial operation of a power plant in Colombia., with value exceeding USD 200 million.
- Representing an infrastructure company in arbitration proceedings arisen from the breach of a contract related to the assembly and installation of conveyor belts, with an estimated value of USD 10 million.
- Successfully represented an energy company in an arbitration related to the liquidation of an energy distribution and operation contract valued at around USD 25 million.
- Represented an energy company in relation to arbitration proceedings, under ICC rules, regarding the alleged breach of obligations of a contract for the implementation and operation of an operation system in the oil sector valued at around USD 4 million.
- Representing a multilatina in regards to a dispute related to a contract stating international arbitration proceedings under CCI rules, for the non-fulfilment of obligations in relation to the construction of a water treatment plant, with an estimated value of USD 120 million.
- Representing Finosca S.A.S. (owned by Total) within a class action in which claimants are seeking the recognition and payment of damages allegedly caused by an oil spill that occurred on 20 July 2014 in the port located near Tolú, Coveñas and San Antero in the Republic of Colombia. Value around USD 1 billion.
- Represented Ferring International Center S.A. within a litigation brought by a local company seeking the declaration of a de facto commercial agency agreement. The plaintiff is claiming payment of the commercial severance pay and the equitable indemnity due under Colombian law to commercial agents upon termination of the relationship, with an estimated value of USD 50 million.
- Band 2, Individual Ranking in Dispute Resolution, Chambers & Partners 2018
- Leading Lawyer in Dispute Resolution, Legal 500, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Center of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá -Listed arbitrator
- Panel of Arbitrators of the Shanghai International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (Shanghai International Arbitration Center) - Arbitrator
- Arbitration and ADR Commission of the ICC in Colombia - President
- Singapore International Arbitration Center Users Council - Member
- Colombian Chapter of the Club Español del Arbitraje - Founding member and Board member
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Arbitraje (ALARB) - Member
- Comité Colombiano de Arbitraje - Member
- Colombia (1997)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LLM with merit honors) (2001)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Economics) (1999)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Lawyer) (1997)