Tania joined Baker McKenzie 2007. She completed her training contract and qualified as an associate in the Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Industry Group in September 2009. Tania has been recognised as a key individual in both the Chambers and Legal 500 2021 directories.
Tania Arora is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Group based in London. She is experienced in project development, infrastructure and construction transactions in the UK and across Asia and the EMEA region, with a particular focus on power projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as co-counsel to Westinghouse, the global leader in nuclear technology, fuel and services in relation to their sale to Brookfield Business Partners and their emergence from Chapter 11 as a reorganised company.
- Acting for KEPCO in relation to the USD 24.4 billion development, construction and financing of the Barakah 5,600 MW nuclear power plant in the UAE, including concession, joint venture, PPA, O&M, shared facilities agreements, construction contracts and fuel supply contracts. Also advising on nuclear regulatory issues as part of the development of a new nuclear regime. Advising KEPCO in relation to various refinancings of the Barakah nuclear power plant, increasing overall financing to USD 28.5 billion.
- Advising Magyar Villamos Muvek Zrt on the proposed new nuclear power project at Paks in Hungary including in respect of applicable EU and Hungarian regulatory regime and procurement laws.
- Acting for a leading nuclear company on a number of acquisitions of nuclear engineering companies in Europe and North America.
- Advised Hitachi on the USD 11 billion acquisition of ABB's power grids business in over 100 jurisdictions.
- Acting for Marubeni Corporation as a joint venture sponsor and developer in relation to the development and financing of the Morupule B Phase 2 Units 5 & 6 coal fired power plant in Botswana (financial close estimated in Q1 2017).
- Acting for Gastrade as project developer on all aspects of the Alexandroupolis LNG import facility in Greece.
- Acting for Azmeco on the development of a methanol plant and other utilities in Garadagh, Azerbaijan.
- Advising the Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Ma'aden) in relation to the development of its phosphate mine and associated fertilizer production complex in Saudi Arabia, with a total project value exceeding US$5.6 billion, including in relation to EPC and O&M contracts.
- Advised Hutchison Ports on its agreement with Egyptian Navy to develop and operate a new USD 730 million container terminal in Abu Qir, Egypt.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AIPN - Member
- INLA - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2009)
- BPP Professional Education (L.P.C.) (2007)
- BPP Law School (Graduate Diploma Law) (2006)
- University of Nottingham (B.Sc. Hons.) (2005)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.