John Walker is a member of BakerMcKenzie's Global Tax Steering Committee and has been the regional head of Tax for the last four years. He is also the head of the Firm's Structured Assets group in Australia, which incorporates the Tax, Financial Services, Commercial Real Estate and Hotels, Resorts & Tourism groups.
John's focus is on the tax aspects of corporate and debt restructures, M&A, spin-offs, takeovers, funds and unwinding structured finance transactions. He also deals with the Australian Tax Office (ATO) on a regular basis: in the context of private and class rulings, settling outstanding tax liabilities, industry risk reviews and tax policy initiatives.
He is included in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers list for 2014 to 2018. John is also recommended in the 2011 to 2017 editions of Euromoney's International Tax Review's World Tax; 2014 to 2016 editions of Euromoney’s International Tax Review’s World Transfer Pricing; 2014 to 2017 editions of Euromoney’s International Tax Review’s Tax Controversy Leaders; 2017 edition of Euromoney’s International Tax Review’s Indirect Tax Leaders; 2010 to 2018 editions of Chambers Asia Pacific; 2010 to 2018 editions of APL 500; and is referred to in the 2010 to 2015 editions of the Tax Directors Handbook as a leading individual. He has a “good reputation for his advice on financial products and advises key investment banking clients. His reputation plus a strong presence in the funds and cross-border investment space has enabled him to be the advisor of choice for multi-jurisdictional restructures and other forms of cross-border investments”, Euromoney's International Tax Review's World Tax 2016.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing various multinationals in dealing with Australian Taxation Office risk reviews and audits.
- Advising various high net worth families regarding intergenerational business restructures.
- Advising Platinum Equity Partners on the acquisition of Sensis from Telstra.
- Advising Archer Daniels Midland on its investment in GrainCorp.
- Advising the NSW Government on its electricity privatisation.
- Advised OTPP on its acquisition of the NextGen, Metronode and Infoplex telecommunications divisions of Leighton Holdings Limited.
- Advised a major telecommunications client on its arrangements with NBN Co.
- Advised the Federal Government regarding its Contracts for Closure program for coal-powered electricity generation stations.
- Advised on the acquisition of a majority interest in the Transfield Services Infrastructure Fund by Ratchaburi Generating Holding Company.
- Advised on the equity, debt and supply chain restructures of US and European listed companies.
- Best Lawyer, Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers, 2014-2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Taxation Institute of Australia - Chartered Tax Advisor
- New South Wales~Australia (1995)