Angelo Tzarevski is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in Johannesburg. He advises clients on a broad spectrum of competition issues related to mergers and acquisitions, enforcement, and compliance in South Africa as well as across Africa.
Angelo regularly advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of competition law, including merger control, cartel investigations, prohibited practices, horizontal and vertical arrangements, abuse of dominance, and corporate leniency. He has acted for clients in diverse industries, including pharmaceuticals, chemicals, banking, private equity, automotive, petroleum, healthcare, mining and construction, consumer goods, aviation, and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hitachi, Inc. on successfully obtaining merger clearance in South Africa and Namibia in respect of its global acquisition of the power grid business of Swiss-based ABB Ltd. valued at approximately USD 11 billion.
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline in obtaining merger clearance in South Africa for its USD 12.7 billion acquisition of the global consumer healthcare business of Pfizer, Inc.
- Advised Bausch Health Companies Inc. (formerly Valeant Pharmaceuticals), a multinational speciality pharmaceutical company, in successfully obtaining merger approval in South Africa and Namibia for the sale of its global subsidiary, iNova Pharmaceuticals, to a private equity consortium for USD 930 million.
- Advised a US-based private equity firm in successfully obtaining merger clearances in COMESA, Malawi and South Africa for the acquisition of control over an international money transfer provider.
- Acting for Unilever in relation to ongoing complaint proceedings by the South African antitrust authorities involving allegations of cartel conduct.
- Advised an international conglomerate in relation to antitrust claims instituted by the purchasers of its former media business who are facing ongoing investigations and prosecutions by the South African competition authorities.
- Advising a global media distribution, sports, events and talent management company in relation to leniency proceedings in South Africa.
- Advised Fluidra S.A., a listed Spanish manufacturer of swimming pool equipment, in successfully obtaining merger clearance in South Africa for its merger involving Rhone Capital LLC valued at EUR 1 billion.
- Advised a US-based private equity firm in relation to merger control issues in a transaction involving Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Botswana, Mauritius, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and COMESA.
- Acted for a multinational vertically integrated steel making and mining company in successfully blocking the forced acquisition of its South African subsidiary.
- Acted for clients in the chemical, pharmaceutical and luxury goods industries in successfully defending complaints in South Africa involving allegations of abuse of dominance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2011)
- University of Witwatersrand (LL.M.) (2008)
- University of Witwatersrand (LL.B.) (2007)