Angelo's practice spans the full spectrum of competition law, including cross-border merger control, prohibited practices, compliance and corporate leniency.
He has advised prominent multinationals such as GlaxoSmithKline, Archer-Daniels-Midland, Unilever, Hitachi and Bausch Health Companies, among others, in diverse industries including life sciences and healthcare, banking and financial services, private equity, oil and gas, mining, consumer goods, aviation and telecommunications.
Angelo's experience extends to antitrust and competition issues in other African jurisdictions such as Botswana, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, as well as the Common Market of Southern and Eastern Africa (COMESA).
Representative Legal Matters
- Hitachi, Inc. in successfully obtaining merger clearance in South Africa and Namibia in respect of its global acquisition of the power grid business of Swiss-based ABB Ltd. valued at USD 11 billion.
- GlaxoSmithKline in obtaining merger clearance in South Africa for its USD 12.7 billion acquisition of the global consumer healthcare business of Pfizer, Inc.
- German pharmaceutical company on the South African merger control aspects of the disposal of one of its specialty businesses in a global transaction valued at approximately USD 7 billion.
- Archer-Daniels-Midland on the Malagasy merger control aspects of a series of transactions involving a full-function joint venture.
- Russian vertically integrated steel making and mining company in successfully blocking the hostile takeover of its South African businesses.
- French and Danish private equity funds in relation to COMESA merger control issues in a complex transaction involving the acquisition of businesses in Mauritius, Kenya and Malawi.
- Archer-Daniels-Midland in successfully obtaining clearance in South Africa for its EUR 1.5 billion acquisition of Neovia.
- Bausch Health Companies Inc. (formerly Valeant Pharmaceuticals), a multinational specialty pharmaceutical company, in successfully obtaining merger approval in South Africa and Namibia for the sale of its global subsidiary, iNova Pharmaceuticals, to a private equity consortium for USD 930 million.
Antitrust / Regulatory
- Unilever in relation to ongoing complaint proceedings by the South African antitrust authorities involving allegations of cartel conduct.
- International conglomerate in relation to antitrust claims instituted by the purchasers of its former media business who are facing ongoing investigations and prosecutions by the South African competition authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of South Africa - Member
- South Africa (2011)
- (LL.M.) (2008)
- (LL.B.) (2007)