Angelo Tzarevski is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in Johannesburg. He advises clients on a broad spectrum of competition issues related to mergers and acquisitions, enforcement, and compliance in South Africa as well as in other African jurisdictions.
Angelo regularly advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of competition law, including merger control, cartel investigations, prohibited practices, horizontal and vertical arrangements, abuse of dominance, and corporate leniency. He has acted for clients in diverse industries including chemicals, banking, private equity, pharmaceuticals, automotive, property, petroleum, healthcare, construction, consumer goods, aviation, and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a multinational speciality pharmaceutical company in successfully obtaining merger approval in South Africa and Namibia for the sale of its global subsidiary to a private equity consortium for USD 930 million.
- Advising two Japanese automotive component manufacturers in relation to ongoing investigations by the South African antitrust authorities involving allegations of collusion.
- Advising one of the largest transnational consumer goods companies in relation to ongoing complaint proceedings by the South African antitrust authorities involving allegations of cartel conduct.
- Advising a global media distribution, sports, events and talent management company in relation to leniency proceedings in South Africa.
- Advising a global private equity fund in relation to antitrust claims instituted by the purchasers of its media business who are facing ongoing investigations by the South African antitrust authorities.
- Acted for two international courier delivery services companies in successfully obtaining approval of their USD 5 billion global merger in South Africa.
- Acted for two speciality chemical companies in relation to the South African antitrust aspects of their USD 20 billion global merger.
- Acted for a multinational vertically integrated steel making and mining company in successfully blocking the forced acquisition of its South African subsidiary.
- Acted for a global ingredients solutions company in successfully defending an investigation by the South African antitrust authorities relating to allegations of abuse of dominance.
- Acted for a global consumer packaged goods holding company in successfully obtaining merger approval in Kenya for the acquisition of an international food processing company for GBP 1.4 billion.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2011)
- University of Witwatersrand (LL.M.) (2008)
- University of Witwatersrand (LL.B.) (2007)