Dr. Matthias Trautmann is a counsel in Baker McKenzie’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group in Zurich. Prior to joining the Firm as an associate, he worked as an associate lecturer and research assistant at the Faculty of Law of the University of Zurich. He was admitted to the Swiss bar in 2013.
Matthias graduated from the University of Zurich in 2010 and obtained a PhD in Law (Dr. iur.) from the University of Zurich in 2016 for his thesis on qualified capital increases.
Matthias has broad experience advising on mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganization transactions. He regularly advises Swiss and multinational clients on domestic and cross-border M&A, corporate reorganizations, corporate restructurings as well as on general corporate and commercial law matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hitachi on the USD 11 billion acquisition of ABB's power grids business in over 100 jurisdictions (the largest ever acquisition by a Japanese industrial company).
- Advised global transport and logistics group Kuehne+Nagel on its acquisition of Apex International Corporation from private equity firm MBK Partners and management, its largest acquisition to date.
- Advised publicly listed Dätwyler group on its acquisition of QSR from Q Holding and its private equity owner 3i with a transaction value of USD 625 million.
- Represented Numab Therapeutics as company counsel on its CHF 100 million Series C Financing round.
- Advised global communications company Viasat on its acquisition of the remaining 51% interest in Euro Broadband Infrastructure Sàrl, thereby gaining 100% ownership of the KA-SAT satellite and related ground infrastructure.
- Advised NZZ and Architonic on the acquisition of architectural platform ArchDaily.
- Advised publicly listed Dätwyler on the sale of electronic components distributors Distrelec and Nedis.
- Advised building supplier Arbonia AG on the sale of its industrial services division Condecta Group.
- Advised Schweizerische Depeschenagentur (SDA), Switzerland’s national news agency, on its merger with Switzerland’s leading picture agency Keystone.
- Advised camera manufacturer Leica on the acquisition of their Zurich Leica Flagship Store.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- Switzerland (2013)
- University of Zurich (Dr. iur.) (2016)
- University of Zurich (lic. iur.) (2010)
Co-author, §§ 61 "Rechtsgeschäftliche Übertragung eines Stammanteils", 112-117 "Umstrukturierungen ausserhalb des Fusionsgesetzes", in: Fabiana Theis Simoni / Isabel Hauser / Harald Bärtschi, Handbuch zum GmbH-Recht, Basle 2019.
Author, "Die qualifizierte Kapitalerhöhung – AG, GmbH und Genossenschaft", SSHW, Bd. 333, Zurich/St. Gallen, 2016
Author, Commentary on articles 16 and 17 of the Swiss Merger Act, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Author, "Green light given for distribution of additional paid-in capital surplus," EMEA Legal Insights Bulletin Volume 26 No. 4, 2015
Co-author, Die Know-Your-Customer-Rule im Vermögensverwaltungsauftrag, Anlegerschutz im Finanzmarktrecht kontrovers diskutiert, Schweizer Schriften zum Finanzmarktrecht, 2013