Dr. Matthias Trautmann is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group in Zurich. Prior to joining the Firm as an associate, he worked as an associate lecturer and research assistant at the Faculty of Law of the University of Zurich. He was admitted to the Swiss bar in 2013.
Matthias graduated from the University of Zurich in 2010 and obtained a PhD in Law (Dr. iur.) from the University of Zurich in 2016 for his thesis on qualified capital increases.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hitachi on the USD 11 billion acquisition of ABB's power grids business in over 100 jurisdictions (the largest ever acquisition by a Japanese industrial company).
- Advised NZZ and Architonic on the acquisition of architectural platform ArchDaily.
- Advised publicly listed Dätwyler on the sale of electronic components distributors Distrelec and Nedis.
- Advised Ufenau Capital Partners on its acquisition of an audio video equipment group consisting of the target companies Dr. W.A. Günther AG (Switzerland), Audio Pro Heilbronn Elektroakustik GmbH (Germany) and Audio XL N.V. (Belgium).
Advised publicly listed German Gerresheimer AG on its acquisition of Sensile Medical AG.
Advised building supplier Arbonia AG on the sale of its industrial services division Condecta Group.
- Advised Schweizerische Depeschenagentur (SDA), Switzerland’s national news agency, on its merger with Switzerland’s leading picture agency Keystone.
- Advised camera manufacturer Leica on the acquisition of their Zurich Leica Flagship Store.
Represented Credit Suisse AG as arranger, agent and security agent in connection with a USD 44 million export credit facility for the financing of trains.
- Advised various global pharmaceutical and med-tech companies in corporate reorganization and cross-border sale transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- Switzerland (2013)
- University of Zurich (Dr. iur.) (2016)
- University of Zurich (lic. iur.) (2010)
Co-author, §§ 61 "Rechtsgeschäftliche Übertragung eines Stammanteils", 112-117 "Umstrukturierungen ausserhalb des Fusionsgesetzes", in: Fabiana Theis Simoni / Isabel Hauser / Harald Bärtschi, Handbuch zum GmbH-Recht, Basle 2019.
Author, "Die qualifizierte Kapitalerhöhung – AG, GmbH und Genossenschaft", SSHW, Bd. 333, Zurich/St. Gallen, 2016
Author, Commentary on articles 16 and 17 of the Swiss Merger Act, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Author, "Green light given for distribution of additional paid-in capital surplus," EMEA Legal Insights Bulletin Volume 26 No. 4, 2015
Co-author, Die Know-Your-Customer-Rule im Vermögensverwaltungsauftrag, Anlegerschutz im Finanzmarktrecht kontrovers diskutiert, Schweizer Schriften zum Finanzmarktrecht, 2013