Marina Tokunova is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in Moscow and a member of the Baker McKenzie Global Reorganizations Group. Marina advises Russian and multinational clients on complex tax issues, including tax advice for M&A deals, joint ventures, carve-out transactions and corporate reorganizations.
Marina joined Baker McKenzie in 2007. Prior to joining the Firm, Marina had several years of experience working at EY, where she mainly focused on transactional (M&A) tax work. Marina is also a visiting professor of tax law at Moscow State University.
Marina's practice is focused on tax advice for M&A and corporate reorganizations, including tax advice on transactional documents and tax due diligence. Marina also advises on domestic and cross-border tax planning and structuring of a transaction, and on post-acquisition integration.
Marina provides full-scope direct tax and VAT advice, advises on tax risk management and tax investment regimes, tax controversy and tax litigation.
Marina advises clients frequently in healthcare, industrial, manufacturing and transportation (IMT) and technology, media & telecoms (TMT) sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on the Russian tax aspects of the spin-off of a division of a large listed pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a leading multinational corporation in relation to the Russian tax aspects of global acquisition of water business.
- Advised a leading French multinational luxury conglomerate on the Russian tax aspects of a cross-border acquisition, including tax due diligence.
- Advised a leading international manufacturer of IT and telecoms equipment on the Russian aspects of its global post-acquisition integration.
- Advised Repsol S.A. on the establishment of an upstream joint venture with Gazprom Neft.
- Acted as tax counsel to a leading American pharmaceuticals and healthcare products company on its acquisition of a leading Russian pharmaceutical manufacturer, and its various subsidiaries in Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan, including tax due diligence and tax advice on transactional documents.
- Advised a leading oil and gas service company on a series of acquisitions in Russia, including tax due diligence, tax advice on transactional documents and tax structuring of the approximately USD 450 million acquisition of the oilfield services division of an oil and gas group.
- Represented a large Uzbekistani mobile telecommunication company in court disputes with local tax, antimonopoly and other state authorities. The total amount of claims was around USD 750 million.
- Successfully handled a complex USD 24 million tax case dealing with both permanent establishment issues in Russia and the basis for the allocation of profits under the China-Russia Tax Treaty, which included performing functional and economic analysis of the company’s operations performed in Russia and in China. Represented the company in its administrative appeals and court filing as well as in its reference to the mutual agreement procedure (competent authority) under the China-Russia Tax Treaty.
- Advised a broad range of multinational companies on Russian tax issues in M&A deals, negotiation of tax-related provisions in SPAs, performed tax due diligences of Russian target companies in various industries.
- Next Generation Partner, Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
- Named as one of Women in Tax Leaders in Russia, International Tax Review, 2016-2020
- Short-listed as Rising Star in Tax among European female practitioners by Euromoney LMG European Women in Business Law Awards, 2018 and 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of European Businesses (AEB), Tax Committee - Member
- Association of American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham), Tax Committee - Member
- Russia (2011)
- Higher School of Economics (Finance and Stock Markets, with honors) (2003)
- Higher School of Economics (Law) (2011)
- New York University School of Law (International Taxation) (2015)
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) (Diploma International Financial Reporting - ACCA DipIFR-RUS) (2016)