Baker & McKenzie LLP
Not admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction
Amy Thompson is an associate in the Employee Benefits Group, part of the Employment Department of the London office of Baker McKenzie. She is a member of the Firm’s Global Employment and Compensation Practice Group, which provides tailored advice in respect of a variety of corporate, tax and labour law issues. Amy has joined Baker McKenzie from South Africa where she worked as a tax and employment law professional.
Amy advises on a wide variety of employee tax matters relating to employee share incentives (including tax-advantaged awards), executive remuneration and the impact of corporate transactions. Amy assists UK and multinational companies with the drafting, implementation, review and administration of their broad-based and discretionary share plans in the UK and abroad. She also advises private and public clients on EBTs, malus and clawback, intra-group recharge policies and shareholding requirements.
Having spent time as an associate in South Africa, Amy also has experience in advising clients on multi-jurisdictional corporate projects and share plans.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising two FTSE 100 listed companies with the implementation and administration of their global share plans operated across several jurisdictions.
- Advising clients on ad hoc employee taxation queries.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa - Member
- SharePlan Lawyers Group - Member
- ProShare - Member
- Global Equity Organisation - Member
- ESOP Centre - Member
- South Africa (2020)
- University of Cape Town (LLB) (2017)
- University of Cape Town (BA, History & Law) (2015)
- Co-author, "United Kingdom: Scrapping the Bankers Bonus Cap - the PRA and FCA launch a Joint Consultation Process," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 29 December 2022
- Co-author, "United Kingdom: Further tax changes announced in the Autumn Statement," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 22 November 2022
- Co-author, "United Kingdom: HMRC has published revised guidance on the exercise of a discretion for EMI options," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 25 October 2022
- Co-author, "United Kingdom: New Chancellor reverses many of the Mini-Budget's tax measures," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 20 October 2022
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.