Roger Thomi is a partner at Baker McKenzie Switzerland and the co-head of the Swiss Antitrust & Competition Practice Group. Roger is specialized in antitrust & competition law, in commercial law – in particular distribution, franchising, and joint ventures – and regulatory matters. He has practical industry expertise in the food & beverages and the healthcare industries.
The Legal 500 ranked Roger as a “Rising Star" in competition law who is "highly qualified," "pro-active" and "delivering high-quality and practical advice within a short time."
Roger Thomi has vast experience in all aspects of Swiss and European antitrust and competition law. He represents Swiss and international clients before competition authorities and courts, including in national and international cartel investigations and abuse of dominance proceedings, merger control or investment control filings, as well as in civil antitrust disputes. Roger's experience includes the introduction of selective or exclusive international distribution systems and the structuring of horizontal cooperation agreements (e.g., R&D cooperation, joint purchasing and joint production) and strategic alliances between competitors, setting up robust antitrust compliance programs, as well as advice on unfair competition law and advertising law.
As an experienced commercial lawyer, Roger assists clients in drafting all kinds of commercial agreements, particularly distribution, franchise, agency, e-commerce, manufacturing, supply and joint venture agreements. In addition, he helps clients to strengthen and transform their supply chains and to pursue their sustainability goals and manage sustainability-related legal risk.
Roger has extensive industry expertise in the food and beverages and healthcare industries. With his practical knowledge in food regulatory matters, he supports clients in launching food innovations, in food labelling and marketing, as well as in sustainability. He also regularly advises healthcare and pharmaceutical companies in connection with distribution of their products.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Sika on antitrust compliance for the pre-merger integration planning in the EUR 5.3 billion acquisition of the Master Builder Construction Chemicals (MBCC) Group from Lone Star, and acted lead counsel for the global pre-merger integration planning work stream.
- Advised a Swiss based fragrance manufacturer in connection with an international antitrust investigation by the Swiss, EU and UK competition authorities, including dawn raid assistance and internal investigation.
- Represented a Swiss subsidiary of a global construction company in an investigation by the Swiss Competition Commission, with no fine for the client.
- Advised an international luxury brand in the restructuring of their distribution system and the implementation of a selective distribution system.
- Advises a multinational quick-service restaurant holding company in their food marketing campaigns, competition law compliance and sustainability transformation.
- Represented various clients in connection with informal Competition Commission investigations that could be settled without opening of a formal investigation.
- Represented Hitachi Ltd on its USD 11 billion acquisition of the ABB Power Grid business in the Swiss merger control proceeding before the Swiss Competition Commission.
- Advised Mérieux Equity Partners on foreign investment control proceedings in connection with its investment in Swixx Biopharma.
- Represented and advised Viasat in foreign investment control proceedings in connection with its acquisition of EBI and the KA-SAT satellite.
- Advised a multinational biotechnology company on its new global distribution contract for the international distribution of medicines.
- Rising Star Switzerland for Competition Law by Legal 500 in 2023
- Rising Star Switzerland for Competition Law by Legal 500 in 2022
- Rising Star Switzerland for Competition Law by Legal 500 in 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member, Study Group Competition Law
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht - Member
- Switzerland (2013)
- University of Zurich (lic. iur.) (2010)
- Author, Wettbewerbsrecht, in Wirtschaftsrecht 2023, Zurich 2023
- Co-author, Switzerland: Investment control law, 2023
- Speaker, Swiss law service agreements, 11 May 2023
- Speaker, Swiss law agency and distribution agreements, 4 April 2023
- Speaker, Swiss contract law, 2 February 2023
- Speaker, Regulatory aspects of innovation in the F&B industry, 31 January 2023