Ee Von Teo is a partner in the Corporate, Commercial & Securities Practice Group of Wong & Partners. She was awarded Young Lawyer of the Year by the Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards 2017, and has been recognised as a Notable Practitioner by IFLR1000 since 2018.
Ee Von's main areas of focus include mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations and other aspects of Malaysian corporate and commercial law. She has worked with a number of multinational corporations in relation to mergers and acquisitions including divestitures, takeovers, foreign investments, joint ventures and corporate reorganisations for both local and cross border transactions in various industries including manufacturing, insurance, retail markets and media. Ee Von has also advised clients on several transactions involving privatisations of public companies in Malaysia, assisted with the formation of private equity funds, and advised such funds on their investment and divestment transactions in various industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised DRB-HICOM Berhad ("DRB-HICOM") in connection with the investment, by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (“ZGH”), in PROTON Holdings Berhad ("PROTON") through the subscription of ordinary shares representing 49.9% of the share capital of PROTON and, concurrently, the sale by DRB-HICOM of the entire stake in Lotus Advance Technology Sdn Bhd to ZGH and Etika Automotive Sdn Bhd. The strategic partnership is a historic moment for PROTON, as it marks the entry of a global OEM foreign strategic partner to enable it to build scale in research and development as well as production. This transaction was recognised as the Best Malaysia Deal by FinanceAsia in 2018.
- Advised McDonald's Corporation ("McDonald's") on the transfer of its ownership in its Malaysian subsidiary, Golden Arches Restaurants Sdn. Bhd. ("GARSB"), to Lionhorn Pte. Ltd. ("Lionhorn"). GARSB is the holder of the franchise rights of McDonald's restaurants in Malaysia. Our advice included the conduct of a pre-transaction restructuring of GARSB, the conduct of a vendor due diligence on GARSB and its subsidiary, and advising on the share purchase agreement, and the Franchise Agreement between Lionhorn and McDonald's. The transaction is part of the implementation of McDonald's selection process for a new Developmental Licensee ("DL") holder in Malaysia and Singapore and in conjunction with the transfer of ownership of its Singaporean subsidiary. Lionhorn, the new DL holder, will assume ownership of McDonald's 390 restaurants in Malaysia and Singapore collectively. This transaction was awarded M&A Deal of the Year (Premium) and Malaysia Deal of the Year at the ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2017.
- Advised Metrod Holdings Bhd ("Metrod Malaysia") on its acquisition of The Leela Goa. The Leela Goa, previously owned by Hotel Leelaventure Ltd ("HLVL"), was acquired through a business transfer agreement between Ceres Hotel Private Limited ("Ceres"), MetTube International Pte Ltd and HLVL for a total consideration of MYR 467.4 million. The acquisition was part-financed by equity investments from Metrod Malaysia and MetTube Sdn. Bhd. into Ceres by way of a share subscription agreement for a total subscription price of MYR 331.2 million. This transaction was recognised as the 2016 Mid-Size Deal of the Year by Asian Legal Business.
- Advised Telekom Malaysia Bhd. (“TM”), a leading fixed-line and broadband provider, on its Investment Agreement with Green Packet Bhd. (“Green Packet”) and SK Telecom Co., Ltd. (“SK Telecom”), to collaborate on developing a next-generation Long-Term Evolution (LTE) infrastructure for converged communications services in Malaysia. As part of the Investment Agreement, TM will invest MYR 350 million into Packet One Networks Sdn. Bhd. (“P1”) to make TM the majority shareholder with an estimated 57 percent stake. TM will also invest up to MYR 210 million into Green Packet, and TM, Green Packet and SK Telecom will subscribe for the redeemable convertible unsecured bonds to be issued by P1 to raise up to MYR 1.65 billion toward the roll-out of the LTE network and operation, therefore valuing the entire deal at approximately MYR 2.2 billion.
- Acted as counsel to Kirin Holdings Company, Limited in relation to: (i) Kirin’s SGD2.7 billion offer for the food and beverage business of Fraser & Neave, Limited, a leading real estate and food and beverage conglomerate in Singapore and Malaysia; and (ii) the sale of Kirin’s 14.76% stake in F&N to Thai-owned TCC Assets Limited for SGD 2.03 billion. The transaction gave rise to a number of novel legal issues, and is one of the largest takeovers in the history of Southeast Asia, and one of the largest consumer foods deals ever in the region. The contested takeover of F&N won the 2014 IFLR M&A Deal of the Year Award.
- Advised CIMB Group Sdn Bhd in its conduct of an auction sale of its majority equity interests in CIMB Aviva Assurance Berhad and CIMB Aviva Takaful Berhad in a transaction worth RM 1.11 billion. This transaction was awarded “Best Malaysia Deal” in the FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2013.
- Represented Generali Asia N.V. ("Generali") on its MYR 355.8 million acquisition of 49% of the issued and paid-up share capital of Multi-Purpose Insurans Bhd ("MPIB") from Multi-Purpose Capital Holdings Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MPHB Capital Berhad. This acquisition represents Generali's maiden entrance into the Malaysian insurance industry, placing itself among the top ten property & casualty insurers in the country.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar of England and Wales - Member
- Malaysian Bar - Member
- Malaysia (2007)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2006)
- University of Manchester (2005)
- Bahasa Malaysia
Wong & Partners is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.