Ee Von Teo is a partner in the Corporate, Commercial & Securities Practice Group of Wong & Partners. Ee Von is an experienced partner in the area of M&A and has worked on numerous award-winning deals across the years. She was also awarded Young Lawyer of the Year by the Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards 2017, and recognized in the Asian Legal Business' 40 under 40 list of leaders in 2018. Ee Von has been recognized as a Notable Practitioner by IFLR1000 since 2018, and clients commend her for being "excellent."
She is a frequent speaker and moderator on the Malaysian corporate landscape and legislation at international conferences, including those organized by the American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM).
Ee Von's main areas of focus include mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate reorganizations and other aspects of Malaysian corporate and commercial law. She works with leading multinational corporations on a variety of cross-border transactions in various industries, including financial services, telecommunication, manufacturing, logistics, renewable energy and retail markets. Ee Von has also advised clients on transactions involving privatizations of public companies in Malaysia, assisted with the formation of private equity funds, and advised such funds on their investment and divestment transactions in various industries.
Ee Von is also a key partner in the China Outbound practice of the Baker McKenzie firms across China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, where she has acted for Chinese corporations on various outbound investments. Ee Von has worked previously in the Beijing and Bangkok offices of Baker McKenzie.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Generali Asia N.V. on the proposed acquisition of the shares of AXA Affin General Insurance Berhad and AXA Affin Life Insurance Berhad from AXA Asia and Affin Bank Berhad, and the concurrent acquisition of the remaining shares of MPI Generali Insurans Berhad from Multi-Purpose Capital Holdings Berhad for a total combined consideration value of MYR 1.3 billion.
- Advised ib vogt GmbH on its successful bid for and development of a 116 MWp solar photovoltaic power plant under Malaysia's third large-scale solar tender project (LSS3).
- Advised Press Metal Aluminium Holdings Bhd on its investment in an Indonesian entity involved in the production of alumina and alumina refinery, PT Bintan Alumina Indonesia, by way of a subscription of 25% of its enlarged share capital.
- Advised DRB-HICOM Berhad in connection with the investment, by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, in PROTON Holdings Berhad through the subscription of ordinary shares representing 49.9% of the share capital of PROTON and, concurrently, the sale by DRB-HICOM of the entire stake in Lotus Advance Technology to ZGH and Etika Automotive. The strategic partnership is a historic moment for PROTON, as it marks the entry of a global OEM foreign strategic partner to enable it to build scale in research and development as well as production. This transaction was recognized as the Best Malaysia Deal by FinanceAsia in 2018.
- Advised McDonald's Corporation on the transfer of its ownership in its Malaysian subsidiary, Golden Arches Restaurants, to Lionhorn. GARSB is the holder of the franchise rights of McDonald's restaurants in Malaysia. Our advice included the conduct of a pre-transaction restructuring of GARSB, the conduct of a vendor due diligence on GARSB and its subsidiary, and advice on the share purchase agreement, and the franchise agreement between Lionhorn and McDonald's. The transaction is part of the implementation of McDonald's selection process for a new developmental licensee (DL) holder in Malaysia and Singapore and in conjunction with the transfer of ownership of its Singaporean subsidiary. Lionhorn, the new DL holder, will assume ownership of McDonald's 390 restaurants in Malaysia and Singapore collectively. This transaction was awarded M&A Deal of the Year (Premium) and Malaysia Deal of the Year at the ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2017.
- Advised Metrod Holdings Bhd on its acquisition of the Leela Goa. The Leela Goa, previously owned by Hotel Leelaventure (HLVL), was acquired through a business transfer agreement between Ceres Hotel, MetTube International and HLVL for a total consideration of MYR 467.4 million. The acquisition was part-financed by equity investments from Metrod Malaysia and MetTube Sdn. Bhd. into Ceres by way of a share subscription agreement for a total subscription price of MYR 331.2 million. This transaction was recognized as the 2016 Mid-Size Deal of the Year by Asian Legal Business.
- Advised Telekom Malaysia, a leading fixed-line and broadband provider, on its investment agreement with Green Packet and SK Telecom, to collaborate on developing a next-generation Long-Term Evolution (LTE) infrastructure for converged communications services in Malaysia. As part of the investment agreement, TM will invest MYR 350 million into Packet One Networks (P1) to make TM the majority shareholder with an estimated 57% stake. TM will also invest up to MYR 210 million into Green Packet. TM, Green Packet and SK Telecom will subscribe for the redeemable convertible unsecured bonds to be issued by P1 to raise up to MYR 1.65 billion.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar of England and Wales - Member
- Malaysian Bar - Member
- Malaysia (2007)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2006)
- University of Manchester (2005)
- Bahasa Malaysia