Jeff Sturgeon is partner in the Employment & Compensation Practice group in Baker McKenzie's New York office. A skilled advisor and litigator with over 15 years of experience, Jeff assists clients with their most complex employment matters.
Jeff is a trial lawyer who regularly litigates employment, whistleblower, benefits, securities, commercial and fiduciary liability issues in state and federal courts throughout the United States, representing clients in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, and complex collective and class action litigation, securing several notable victories in courts, arbitration tribunals and before government agencies. He has tried dozens of cases to verdict before juries and arbitration panels. Jeff frequently represents companies and institutions in the insurance, financial services, and technology industry. He also represents several institutions of higher learning.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the firm, Jeff handled the following matters:
- Defended the managing partner of a large New York based insurance company in a defamation and unfair competition action that resulted in a complete victory after being tried.
- Defended the biggest private employer in Philadelphia in a race discrimination case that ended in a complete defense verdict after being tried to a jury.
- Achieved complete victory for an Ivy League University in a “tenure denial” matter in which a professor alleged gender discrimination.
- Defeated repeated requests for emergency relief by the terminated CEO of a technology company.
- Served as counsel for a financial services company in a defamation and wrongful termination matter by a former broker seeking USD 30 million in damages, resulting in a complete victory.
- Represented a group of medical professionals in a wrongful termination matter brought by their former CEO and President, resulting in a complete victory.
- Served as counsel for a Fortune 500 company in an ERISA class action involving thousands of participants in the company's 401k plan, resulting in the court awarding a fraction of the USD 600 million in damages sought, which was later reduced to zero.
- Represented a Big Four accounting firm in a nationwide securities fraud class action.
- Pennsylvania~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania~United States
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States
- Temple University Beasley School of Law (JD) (2004)
- Dickinson College (BA) (2001)
- Co-author, "EEOC Won't Budge on EEO-1 Pay Data Collection," Law360, July 20, 2016
- Speaker, "Independent Contractors and Joint Employment: Mitigating Risks for Employers," ACC Greater Philadelphia Employment & Labor Law CLE Institute, March 2017
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.