Brendan is a Partner in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance team.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Brendan spent a decade at another leading Australian law firm. Brendan also worked for a number of years at a Magic Circle law firm in London (including a secondment to the Dubai office) where his experience covered transactions in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
Brendan's practice focuses on project finance, infrastructure (including road, rail, airport and social projects) and energy finance, acquisition and corporate finance. He has also advised on a number of first-in-market ESG financings.
His clients cover listed corporates, borrowers and issuers, sponsors and financiers and he has experience advising on transactions across all Australian jurisdictions. His experience covers loan (bilateral and syndicated), capital markets transactions and complex multi-sourced financing platforms.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an ASX listed entity on a range of corporate and project financing transactions (including bank debt and USPP transactions)
- Advised an ASX listed entity on its project concession arrangements
- Advised the lenders to an ASX listed entity on its corporate finance facilities
- Advised a large Australian infrastructure operator on its financing arrangements (including acquisition and capex expansion financing)
- Advised the borrower on its green and sustainability-linked syndicated loan facility refinancing for an Australian PPP
- Advised a multinational energy company on a range of financing, general corporate, energy and mining matters for its Australian assets
- Advised a major Australian airport on a range of financing matters (including AMTN, USPP transactions and the first sustainability-linked loan facility in the Australian market)
- Advised the lenders on the financing for the privatisation of a major Australian airport
- Advised a major toll road operator on a range of its financing and concession matters in relation to its toll road and motorway tunnel assets
- Advised a European-based investment company on financing and corporate restructure matters for its Australian assets
- Advised electricity transmission companies in several Australian jurisdictions on a series of financing transactions across bank debt, AMTN and USPP markets
- Advised an Australian Government body on its financings for major social housing projects
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Law Society of New South Wales
- High Court of Australia (2012)
- New South Wales~Australia (2006)
- University of Cambridge (Master of Law) (2010)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Laws, First Class Honours) (2005)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Arts) (2003)
Publications & Presentations
- Guest Lecturer on Project Finance at the University of Sydney and University of New South Wales