Andrew Shaw is a partner in the Firm's Employment & Compensation Law Group. Prior to attending law school, Andrew held labour relations/human resources positions at both private and public sector companies. In these roles, he managed workplace disputes and grievances to an appropriate resolution, assisted internal clients with the interpretation of employment-related legislation, and provided counsel to senior management as required.
Andrew assists clients with all aspects of the employment relationship, both unionized and non-unionized, in the province of Ontario and throughout Canada. He advises and represents employers in matters regarding employment standards, wrongful dismissals, human rights, labour relations/arbitration, union organizing, collective bargaining, occupational health and safety, pay equity, and workplace investigations.
Andrew is an experienced negotiator and advocate, always with the goal of efficiently and effectively resolving workplace disputes. He has appeared as legal counsel before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, labour arbitrators, as well as in the courts, including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
In addition to his advocacy and dispute resolution practice, Andrew advises employer clients on employment agreements, employee terminations, executive compensation matters, corporate transactions, restructurings and downsizings, privacy, and disability management. He also assists clients with reviewing and updating their workplace policies and procedures, as well as providing the corresponding training.
- Star Lawyer, Acritas, 2018-2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (Certificate in Health Law) (2015)
- University of Windsor Law School (Bachelor's Degree Law) (2007)
- Queen's University (Master Industrial Relations) (2000)
- Queen's University (B.A.) (1998)