Andrew Shaw is a partner in the Firm's Employment & Compensation Law Group. Prior to attending law school, Andrew held labour relations/human resources positions at both private and public sector companies. In these roles, he managed workplace disputes and grievances to an appropriate resolution, assisted internal clients with the interpretation of employment-related legislation, and provided counsel to senior management as required.
Andrew assists clients with all aspects of the employment relationship, both unionized and non-unionized, in the province of Ontario and throughout Canada. He advises and represents employers in matters regarding employment standards, wrongful dismissals, human rights, labour relations/arbitration, union organizing, collective bargaining, occupational health and safety, pay equity, and workplace investigations.
Andrew is an experienced negotiator and advocate, always with the goal of efficiently and effectively resolving workplace disputes. He has appeared as legal counsel before the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, labour arbitrators, as well as in the courts, including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
In addition to his advocacy and dispute resolution practice, Andrew advises employer clients on employment agreements, employee terminations, executive compensation matters, corporate transactions, restructurings and downsizings, privacy, and disability management. He also assists clients with reviewing and updating their workplace policies and procedures, as well as providing the corresponding training.
- Recognized Employment & Labour practitioner by Chambers Canada
- Star Lawyer, Acritas, 2018-2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (Certificate in Health Law) (2015)
- University of Windsor Law School (Bachelor's Degree Law) (2007)
- Queen's University (Master Industrial Relations) (2000)
- Queen's University (B.A.) (1998)
- Co-author, Modernizing Quebec's Occupational Health and Safety Regime, February 7, 2022
- Co-author, Top 10 Canadian Labour & Employment Law Developments of 2021, January 13, 2022
- Co-author, Enhanced Leaves of Absence under the Canada Labour Code as Bill C-3 Passes, January 12, 2022
- Co-author, Additional Relief and Leaves of Absence for Reasons Related to COVID-19: Bill C-2, January 12, 2022
- Co-author, Ontario Government Returns to Modified Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen, January 6, 2022
- Co-author, Ontario Passes The Working for Workers Act, December 7, 2021
- Co-author, British Columbia Employers Must Provide Five Paid Sick Days Each Year, December 2, 2021
- Co-author, Ontario Court Rules Severance Pay Is Based on Global Payroll, October 4, 2021
- Co-author, Federal Budget Bill Changes Canada Labour Code and Economic Support Programs, July 23, 2021
- Co-author, Ontario Government Amends Notice and Reporting Requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, June 22, 2021
- Co-author, Corporate Directors Held Personally Liable in Wrongful Dismissal Actions, March 29, 2021
- Co-presenter, Remote Working from Outside of the Jurisdiction: The Pandemic and Beyond (Video), September 21, 2021
- Co-presenter, COVID 19: What Employers Need to Know, Conference Board of Canada Webinar, April 8, 2020
- Co-presenter, COVID 19: What Employers Need to Know, Conference Board of Canada Webinar, March 19, 2020