Sawanee A. Sethsathira is the head of Bangkok's Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Group and Projects Practice and brings to the team more than 35 years of leadership, client dedication, and extensive experience in the project development and finance of energy and infrastructure projects in Thailand. She is the go-to partner for all complex energy projects, PPP and infrastructure project issues throughout the project life-cycle, and is especially known for her adept negotiating skills and dealing with government authorities. She is the architect of innovative structuring and the think-tank in dealing with complex projects and legal issues.
With Baker McKenzie since 1983 and a partner since 1989, Ms. Sethsathira has acquired in-depth knowledge from advising on numerous large-scale, first-of-its-kind power, O&G, petrochemical and infrastructure projects in Thailand. She previously practiced in the Firm’s Sydney and Melbourne offices. She is also a visiting lecturer for commercial lending law at the Chulalongkorn University Faculty of Law.
Ms. Sethsathira focuses on project development, financing and acquisition in energy, chemical, mining, and infrastructure sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited as lead arranger, The Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited, Krung Thai Bank Public Company Limited, and ADB in the project financing for the development of the MRT Pink Line and MRT Yellow Line monorail projects, the first monorail projects in Thailand.
Advised Electricity Generating Public Company Limited and its sponsors on the project development and financing of the 930 MW gas-fired Khanom power plant.
Advised Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited on the acquisition and off-market takeover of shares in Nido Petroleum Limited, a listed international petroleum exploration and production company on the Australian Stock Exchange.
Advised Ratchaburi Power Company Limited and its sponsors on the project development and financing of a 1400-MW gas-fired combined cycle power plant. The deal was named Asian Power Deal of the Year, Project Finance International Awards.
Advised PTT LNG Company Limited on the development of an LNG receiving terminal in Thailand and drafting the Third Party Access Code (TPA Code) for the Map Ta Phut LNG Receiving Terminal pursuant to the government's policy for third-party access.
Advised BLCP Power Limited in relation to the project financing of the 1434-MW coal-fired power plant. The deal was named Best Project Finance Deal, Asiamoney Awards.
Advised Thai Oil Public Company Limited on several financing transactions for its refinery expansion, refinancing and Eurobond issue.
Advised Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited on the project development, financing and private placement of a PQI project.
Advised the international and local financial institutions on the project development and financing of the 1400-MW Khaeng Khoi 2 power plant, owned by Gulf Power Generation Co., Ltd.
Advised PTT Chemical Public Company Limited on its worldwide acquisition of Cognis’ oleochemical business.
Advised a syndicate of lenders on the project financing of the Bang Na-Bang Pli-Bang Pakong Expressway Project.
- "Market Leader" in Energy and Infrastructure, Project Development, Project Finance, and Banking, and Energy, Transport, and Oil and Gas industries, IFLR1000 Asia Pacific Guide, 2022
- "Highly Regarded" in Energy and Infrastructure, Project Development, Banking and Finance, Project Finance, IFLR1000: Financial and Corporate Guide, 2018-2021 ("Leading Lawyer“, 2015-2017)
- "Highly Regarded" in Energy, Transport, and Oil and Gas industries, IFLR1000: Financial and Corporate Guide, 2018-2021
- “Hall of Fame”, Banking and Finance, Projects and Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020-2021 (“Leading Individual”, 2008-2020)
- "Thailand’s Top 100 Lawyers " in Banking and Finance, Energy, Mining and Infrastructure, Infrastructure, Oil, Gas and Petrochemicals, Power, and Project Finance, Asia Business Law Journal, 2019-2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1983)
- Cornell University (LL.M.) (1983)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B., Honors) (1981)