Sawanee A. Sethsathira is the head of the Energy, Chemicals, Mining, and Infrastructure and Project Finance practice groups in Bangkok. She joined Baker McKenzie in 1983 and became a partner in 1989.
Ms. Sethsathira previously practiced in the Firm’s Sydney and Melbourne offices. She is also a visiting lecturer for commercial lending law at the Chulalongkorn University Faculty of Law.
Ms. Sethsathira has more than 30 years of experience in project financing and development. She has advised on the financing and acquisition of some of Thailand's largest energy, infrastructure, and petrochemical projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Electricity Generating Public Company Limited and its sponsors on the Khanom power project development and financing of a 930 MW gas-fired power plant.
- Advised Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited on the acquisition and off-market takeover of shares in Nido Petroleum Limited, a listed international petroleum exploration and production company on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Advised Ratchaburi Power Company Limited and its sponsors on the project development and financing of a 1400-MW gas-fired combined cycle power plant. The deal was named Asian Power Deal of the Year, Project Finance International Awards.
- Advised PTT LNG Company Limited on the development of an LNG receiving terminal in Thailand.
- Advised BLCP Power Limited in relation to the project financing of the 1434-MW coal-fired power plant. The deal was named Best Project Finance Deal, Asiamoney Awards.
- Advised Thai Oil Public Company Limited on several financing transactions for its refinery expansion, refinancing and Eurobond issue.
- Advised Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited on the project development, financing and private placement of a PQI project.
- Advised PTT Chemical Public Company Limited on its worldwide acquisition of Cognis’ oleochemical business.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders on the project financing of the Bang Na-Bang Pli-Bang Pakong Expressway Project.
- Leading Lawyer in Banking & Finance, Project Finance, Project Development, Energy and Infrastructure, IFLR 1000: Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 2015-2016
- Leading Individual in Banking & Finance, Projects & Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2008-2016
- Recognized Practitioner in Energy, Mining & Infrastructure / Projects, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014 / 2015-2016
- Recognized Practitioner in Banking & Finance / Projects, Chambers Global, 2014 / 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1983)
- Cornell University (LL.M.) (1983)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B. Honors) (1981)