Joshua Saunders is a partner in the Sydney office of Baker McKenzie and specializes in infrastructure and construction law.
With nearly 20 years' experience including 14 years in-house at Lendlease, Joshua has valuable perspectives on the industry and the key concerns for his clients. Joshua has been recognized by Doyle's Guide as a leading in-house construction and infrastructure lawyer.
Joshua is an experienced infrastructure and construction lawyer with a broad capability in the transport, utilities, telecommunications and renewables sectors. Joshua's experience includes working on complex infrastructure projects, including major transport projects and PPPs, renewables EPC and O&M projects, water and power industry procurement, and contracting and managing complex infrastructure disputes with numerous parties.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Lendlease on the North East Link PPP Tender as part of the ViaNova Consortium, reviewing project documents, interface agreements and joint venture agreements, and negotiating within the consortium and with State.
- Advised Lendlease on the Inland Rail PPP Tender including developing key terms with Project Co and State.
- Led extensive negotiations on behalf of Lendlease with University of Queensland in relation to the EPC and O&M contract for a major solar farm at Warwick in Queensland, with a contract value of AUD 100 million.
- Advised Lendlease in relation to Northam Solar Farm, negotiating to award an EPC contract for a 10MW solar farm project in Western Australia and finalizing a joint venture agreement with a specialist renewables contractor.
- Advised a contractor and consortium member in relation to Sydney Water P4S Collaborative Enterprise Contract, which involved reviewing an amended NEC4 document suite, extensive client negotiations and within four-party JV leading to award. Led negotiations to establish the JV to perform the contract.
- Advised Lendlease in relation to a long-term collaborative field services contract with SA Water, which it secured.
- Advised Lendlease in relation to several high-value NBN contracts.
- Negotiated and secured several major delivery contracts with Optus in both wired and wireless sectors.
Projects in delivery and disputes
- Advised in relation to a JV partner that entered insolvency with several renewables projects still in delivery. Led negotiations with liquidators and clients to ensure delivery of projects.
- Advised the business in relation to an indigenous cultural heritage issue. Advised on negotiations with various stakeholders, including Local Aboriginal Land Council, the client and changes to work practices.
- Leading In-house Construction and Infrastructure Lawyers Australia, Doyle's Guide, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Law Society of New South Wales
- High Court of Australia (2004)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales (2002)
- University of Western Sydney (LLB, Hons) (2002)
- University of Sydney (BSc, Hons) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.