Jorge Javier Salazar-Cebrián has 13 years of professional experience and is a partner of Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group. He joined the Firm in 2003. He is experienced in tax litigation, administrative, legal protection, and tax planning, since he has broad experience in the constitutionality of tax laws and taxpayers' defense against the actions of the tax authorities in the exercise of their review and enforcement powers.
Before joining the Firm, Mr. Salazar-Cebrián was an in-house lawyer in GNP (Grupo Nacional Provincial, S.A.) and as an auxiliary attorney for the Seventh Civil Judge in the State of Nuevo Leon.
Mr. Salazar Cebrián focuses his practice on fiscal and administrative litigation. He has participated in defending taxpayers against unconstitutional tax laws, as well as against the actions of the tax authorities in the exercise of their audit powers. In addition, he is knowledgeable about tax planning. He has provided professional services to multinational corporations, consolidated groups, and companies that are part of the manufacturing sector, automotive sector, minning sector, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Supported taxpayers in audits conducted by the tax and administrative authorities in all kind of taxes, as well as in the administrative procedures derived from tax refund requests.
- Participated in the defense of taxpayers against tax and/or fine assessments as well as the refusal of the tax and administrative authorities to refund them.
- Participated in the defense of taxpayers against the enforcement of unconstitutional tax laws.
- Participated in the representation of taxpayers in the requests of conclusive agreements with the Mexican Ombudsman.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Academia de Derecho Fiscal de Nuevo León, A.C. - Member
- Asociacion Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, A.C. (ANADE) - Member, Tax Committee
- Barra Mexicana de Abogados, Capitulo Nuevo Leon - Member, Tax Law Commission
- Foro de Especialistas Tributarios, A.C. - Member
- Mexico (2003)
- Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo Leon (Master's Degree Law) (2006)
- Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo Leon (Law Degree) (2003)
He has been a speaker in several forums and seminars organized by the Firm, several Maquila Associations, Lawyers Bar Associations, Commercial Associations, among others. He has also published several articles in Defensa Fiscal, IDC Asesor Jurídico y Fiscal, Puntos Finos, PRO Magazine, Business Club Magazine, and IUS Actual de BMA.
Mr. Salazar speaks at conferences and seminars on different Tax matters. Some of his speaking engagements include (but not limited to) the following:
Speaker, “Foro Fiscal de Finanzas,” Asociacion Maquiladora de Reynosa, 2008 and 2010
Speaker, “Posibles Implicaciones de la Reforma Fiscal,” Asociacion Maquiladora de Reynosa, 2008 and 2014
Speaker, “Impacto de la Reforma Fiscal 2014,” ERIAC, September 2014