Federico has been practicing law since 1988, and currently chairs the environmental and climate law practice in Mexico. He specializes in providing advice to clients to comply with legal requirements in the area of environmental impact, air emissions, water and wastewater, hazardous and non-hazardous waste and occupational health and safety. His practice also includes emissions trading, REDD+ projects and administrative and civil litigation. Chambers and Partners as well as The Legal 500 consider Federico one of the top environmental attorneys in Mexico.
Federico's wide client base includes companies in the industrial, real estate and energy, such as automotive plants, steel mills, manufacturares of medical devices, food products and electronic goods, oil exploration and exploitation companies, fuel storage facilities, power plants, water and wastewater treatment installations, hotels and resorts and financial institutions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a petrochemical installation in a matter involving an accident that occurred in 2016 in the State of Veracruz.
- Acted for an LNG facility in a litigation matter in the State of Tamaulipas (2014).
- Advised an energy company in a REDD+ Project in the State of Yucatán (2020).
- Represented a large oil company in securing permits for the construction of two fuel storage facilities in the States of Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas (2020).
- Advised a film studio in Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico on environmental and health and safety permits and compliance requirements derived from movie-making activities (2000).
- Advised on legal matters related to the operation of a hazardous waste treatment facility in Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico, particularly on environmental permitting and compliance requirements (1998).
- Advised a combined-cycle power plant in Mérida, Yucatán, on environmental permitting and compliance requirements (1995).
- Advised a nitrogen production facility next to the Cantarel offshore oil field in Campeche, Mexico, on water and water quality related to the construction of a nitrogen gas line running from the nitrogen production facility to the oil offshore field (1994).
- Advised a major wastewater treatment plant in Tijuana Mexico on EHS permitting requirements (2005).
- Advised several resort developments in Cancún and Los Cabos Mexico on land use, environmental permitting and natural resources protection issues (2020).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Lawyers
- Mexico (1988)
- Harvard Law School (Program of Instruction for Lawyers) (1999)
- Universidad Autonoma de Baja California (M.C.L. Honors) (1987)
- Chambers Latin America, Mexican Environmental Law Review (2018, 2019, 2020 editions)
- The Legal 500 - Summary on Mexican Environmental Law (2020).
- Voluntary Environmental Regulation Program 2009 - 2010
- The Yearly Operating Report
- New Obligations and Sanctions to Control Chemical Substances.
- Baker & McKenzie Lawyers Urge Carbon Market Development in Mexico.
- "Environmental Liability in Mexico” (Environmental Claims Journal, 1995)
- “Environmental Auditing in Mexico” (“International Environmental Auditing Handbook,” Government Institutes 1998)
- “Mexican Environmental Law” (co-author “Mexican Law, a Treatise for Legal Practitioners and International Investors,” West Group 1998)
- Author, “Mexico’s Environmental Challenges as the 21st Century Approaches, International Environment Reporter, 1999
- Author, “Mexico, Making Its Environmental Laws Work,” Environmental Law and Policy, 1999.
- Author, “Will Mexico’s New Government be Green?” Mexican Forecast, 2000.
- Author, “Is the Mexican Environmental Protection Agency Acting Beyond Its Mandate?” Latin American Law and Business Report, 2000.
- Editor, “Environmental Law and Policy in Latin America,” Baker McKenzie, 2000.
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.