Shima S. Roy is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office. She represents clients in both commercial and intellectual property disputes in federal and state courts, arbitration, the International Trade Commission and TTAB. Ms.Roy's clients include high-tech manufacturers, hedge funds, pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, and commodity exchanges. She was named as a "Minority 40 under 40" by the National Law Journal and is an adjunct professor of trial advocacy at Northwestern University Law School.
Ms. Roy's principal areas of practice are intellectual property and complex business disputes. Ms. Roy has extensive experience developing strategies for clients involved in disputes in several international jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a manufacturer Complainant in an ITC action to enforce its trade secrets and design patents against Chinese entities formerly involved in the manufacturing of products on behalf of the Complainant.
- Represented a semi-conductor chip manufacturer and gaming company in a trial for patent infringement involving semiconductor chips in the Central District of California.
- Represent baby gear manufacturer in patent infringement lawsuit involving play yards in the Northern District of Georgia.
- Represented an international testing diagnostics company in trademark infringement litigation.
- Obtained anti suit injunction on behalf of a US company against a Chinese joint venture on sales dispute in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Successfully defended a European master distributor of surgical products against over USD5 million in claims for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty brought by manufacturer in ICDR arbitration.
- Successfully defended a major US Commodities Exchange before a three-member AAA panel against a USD73 million claim alleging breach of a non-disclosure agreement disclosing concepts for derivative products.
- Defended a Taiwanese manufacturer and its US subsidiary in a USD1 billion claim pending in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania against breach of contract, breach of warranty and fraud claims for a component product integrated in a 911 system.
- Tried several jury cases to verdict on behalf of an elevator maintenance corporation in Illinois State Court against allegations of product defects and negligent maintenance of an elevator.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Northwestern University Law School - Adjunct Professor, Trial Advocacy (2009 - present)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2007)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin~United States (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1999)
- Illinois~United States (1999)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D.) (1998)
- Bryn Mawr College (A.B. cum laude) (1996)