Shima S. Roy is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office. She represents clients in both commercial and intellectual property disputes in federal and state courts, arbitration, the International Trade Commission and TTAB. Ms.Roy's clients include high-tech manufacturers, hedge funds, pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, and commodity exchanges. She was named as a "Minority 40 under 40" by the National Law Journal and is an adjunct professor of trial advocacy at Northwestern University Law School.
Ms. Roy's principal areas of practice are intellectual property and complex business disputes. Ms. Roy has extensive experience developing strategies for clients involved in disputes in several international jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a manufacturer Complainant in an ITC action to enforce its trade secrets and design patents against Chinese entities formerly involved in the manufacturing of products on behalf of the Complainant.
- Represented a semi-conductor chip manufacturer and gaming company in a trial for patent infringement involving semiconductor chips in the Central District of California.
- Represent a Chinese noodle manufacturer in trademark and copyright infringement lawsuit pending in the Eastern District of New York.
- Advise numerous companies on global trademark and branding strategies.
- Obtained anti suit injunction on behalf of a US company against a Chinese joint venture on sales dispute in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Obtained dismissal of trade secret claims against brazilian aircraft manufacturer related to military aircraft design.
- Successfully defended a major US Commodities Exchange before a three-member AAA panel against claims alleging breach of a non-disclosure agreement disclosing concepts for derivative products.
- Defended a Taiwanese manufacturer and its US subsidiary in a USD1 billion claim pending in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania against breach of contract, breach of warranty and fraud claims for a component product integrated in a 911 system.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Northwestern University Law School - Adjunct Professor, Trial Advocacy (2009 - present)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2007)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin~United States (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1999)
- Illinois~United States (1999)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D.) (1998)
- Bryn Mawr College (A.B., cum laude) (1996)