Joachim Ponseck has ten years of work experience in restructuring and insolvency law. He started his career in the R&I team of a magic circle law firm where he held the position of counsel before joining Baker McKenzie as a partner in 2021. With a very international focus during his studies and his career, Joachim advises clients worldwide in relation to issues related to German and European insolvency law.
Joachim advises companies, their creditors and the management in connection with all legal questions concerning companies in financial difficulties and insolvencies. He regularly advises insolvency administrators as well. Joachim has a special focus on insolvency litigation, meaning the enforcement of or the defense against insolvency related claims against the management of the insolvent entity and their creditors. He also advises sellers and buyers in Distressed M&A transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
Before joining the Firm he,
- Advised to aircraft lessors in the insolvency proceedings of Air Berlin, Niki, Germania and Condor.
- Advised to the landlord of various department stores in the insolvency proceedings of Galeria Karstadt Kaufhof.
- Advised to the management of various international corporations in the defence of insolvency related claims against them.
- Advised to the insolvency administration of Weber Automotive in the context of the sale of its business operations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Rechtsanwaltskammer Frankfurt - Member
- Germany (2011)
- Frankfurt School of Finance (Executive MBA) (2020)
- Kammergericht Berlin (Second State Examination) (2011)
- Johannes Gutenberg University (First State Examination) (2008)
- University of Mainz (Magister iuris) (2008)
- University of Paris XII (Licence en droit) (2006)
- Co-author (with Anja Moser and Martin A. Swierczok), "Restrukturierung leicht(er) gemacht: Das StaRUG Gestaltungsoptionen und Stolpersteine," Whitepaper, BUJ - Bundesverbandes der Unternehmensjuristen e.V., May 2021
- Co-author (with Artur Martin Swierczok), "Europe: The new European restructuring schemes Snapshot on the status of implementation of the EU Restructuring Directive in selected Member States and the new English scheme," Baker McKenzie Insight Plus, 14 April 2021
- Co-author (with Artur Martin Swierczok), "Deutschland: Gerichtsbeschluss zum Zugang zum StaRUG und zu überschießenden Regelungen im Restrukturierungsplan," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, April 2021
- Co-author (with Stefan Sax and Artur Martin Swierczok), "Ein vorinsolvenzliches Restrukturierungsverfahren für europäische Unternehmen," Betriebs-Berater (BB) 2017, S.323-329
- Co-author (with Artur Martin Swierczok), "Anfechtbarkeit von Kongruenzvereinbarungen bei Dauerschuldverhältnissen," Zeitschrift für das gesamte Insolvenzrecht (ZInsO), Volume 20, Issue 9, 27.4.2017, S.420
- Co-author (with Stefan Sax), "Federal Court of Justice clarifies calculation of compensation payment," ILO Newsletter, 17.1.2017
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.