Nandakumar (Kumar) Ponniya is a principal in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Singapore. Kumar is seasoned in international arbitration with a focus on building, infrastructure and construction law. He regularly advises on infrastructure projects such as rail systems, oil and gas facilities, and utilities plants, as well as commercial and residential developments across the Asia Pacific region.
Kumar is listed as a leading dispute resolution lawyer in Singapore, with Chambers Asia Pacific 2012 noting that he "has a full and comprehensive knowledge of international arbitration and good analytical skill in dealing with cross-border commercial disputes." Chambers Global 2013 has described him as "extremely technically proficient and commercially savvy." He has been listed in the Guide to the World's Leading Construction Lawyers 2013 and further identified as a "rising star" in the Guide to the World's Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration 2013. Benchmark Asia Pacific 2013 has recognized him as a "leading disputes star" and "leading litigation star" in Singapore.
Kumar is seasoned in international arbitration with a focus on building, infrastructure and construction law. Kumar regularly advises on infrastructure projects such as rail systems, oil and gas facilities, and utilities plants, as well as commercial and residential developments. He is experienced in international arbitration and legal proceedings arising out of disputes in Singapore, Indonesia, India, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Myanmar.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an Asian oil major in an UNCITRAL arbitration, under New York law, seated in Singapore and administered by the SIAC, arising out of a dispute valued at approximately USD 500 million with a contractor involving a production sharing contract in Indonesia.
- Advised a major Japanese heavy industries corporation in relation to disputes arising out of the redevelopment and expansion of Indonesia’s largest coal-fired power plant.
- Advised a regional conglomerate in relation to disputes arising out of the design, development, construction and operation of a USD 1 billion integrated water desalination and power production plant in the Middle East.
- Represented a national oil company in arbitration proceedings, governed by Indonesian law, against a US corporation for claims in excess of USD 600 million for breaches of an oil & gas concession agreement.
- Advised an oil and gas company on its creditor rights in a restructuring of approximately USD 1 billion worth of debt owed by a petrochemical company, arising out of various agreements governed by Indonesian and New York law.
- Advised a state-owned asset management agency on its creditor rights in a restructuring of approximately USD 1.6 billion worth of debt owed by an Indonesian conglomerate, arising out of various financing agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Mediation Centre
- Society of Construction Law, Singapore
- Law Society of Singapore
- New York~United States (2002)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1998)
- Singapore (1996)
- National University of Singapore (LLB) (1995)
Contributor, "Doing Business," The World Bank, The International Finance Corporation and Oxford University Press, 2005-2010