Dr. Günter Pickrahn is co-head of the Dispute Resolution Department of Baker McKenzie's German offices and a steering committee member in the Firm’s Europe and Global Dispute Resolution groups. Günter is listed as a leading arbitration practitioner in leading legal directories, including the Guide to the World’s Leading Commercial Arbitration Experts, JUVE, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe and the Legal 500, where he is lauded by clients and competitors.
Günter's litigation and arbitration practice is wide-ranging and covers all aspects of commercial domestic and international disputes. He acted for many clients in arbitral proceedings as party representative, mostly in post-M&A disputes and licensing and intellectual property matters. He acts regularly as arbitrator, both as chairman and as party-appointed arbitrator.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of a Czech bank in ICC arbitration against the Czech Ministry of Finance in a Post M&A dispute about the purchase of an enterprise with a sum in dispute of more than EUR 1 billion.
- Representation of a German power plant owner in ICC arbitration about delays and defects with a sum in dispute of more than EUR 1 billion.
- Representation of a US telecommunications company in a Post M&A ICC arbitration against a German telecommunications company with a sum in dispute of more than EUR 130 million.
- Represented a US pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration against a Japanese company resulting from a collaboration and license agreement with about USD 30 million in dispute.
- Represented a US semi-conductor company in ICC arbitration against a Japanese company resulting from a patent and know-how license agreement with more than USD 30 million in dispute.
- Represented a Taiwanese industrial conglomerate in a DIS arbitration concerning the breach of a financial statements warranty, with EUR 42 million in dispute.
- Represented a Chinese manufacturer of TVs in an HKIAC arbitration seated in Hong Kong.
- Represented a German pharmaceutical company in various CIETAC arbitration matters about the termination of a collaboration and distribution agreement.
- Acted as chairman in ad hoc arbitration concerning a dispute about a price revision in the gas industry with more than EUR 200 million in dispute.
- Acted as chairman in DIS arbitration between a Korean company and German company about a dispute concerning the renewable energy market.
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration Counsel, Dispute Resolution: Most in Demand Arbitrators, Chambers Europe 2021
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration Counsel - Tier 1, Most in Demand Arbitrators Tier 1, Chambers Global 2021
- Tier 1 practice lead in arbitration, Legal 500 Europe, 2021
- Recommended for his significant experience resolving complex domestic and international IP cases, Who's Who Legal Germany 2021 - Arbitration
- National Leader Arbitration 2020, Who's Who Legal, 2020
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for industrial property rights, international arbitration, conflict resolution and litigation & arbitration, mediation, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Leading Individual in Arbitration, Juve Germany, since 2007/2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Arbitration Journal - Editor in Chief
- Advisory Board of the German Institute for Arbitration (DIS) - Member
- Swiss Association for Arbitration (ASA) - Member
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) - Member
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR) - Member
- Germany (1993)
- University of Mannheim (Dr. jur.) (1995)
- University of New York (LL.M.) (1994)
- University of Mannheim (State Exam) (1990)
- University of Administative Studies, Speyer
- University of Bayreuth
- San Francisco
Keynote speaker and moderator at the 18th Petersberger Schiedstage 2020 in Königswinter near Bonn on February 29, 2020
Speaker, "Guerilla Tactics in International Arbitration," 3rd GAR Live Frankfurt, June 2016
Keynote speaker, "Predictability in International Arbitration", Vienna Arbitration Days, January 2016