Mikołaj Piaskowski co-leads the Competition and State Aid Practice Group in the Warsaw office. He has practiced in competition law, focusing on antitrust, merger control, consumer protection and State aid laws, for more than 17 years. He represents clients in numerous proceedings before the President of the Office of Competition and Consumer Protection (UOKiK), the Competition and Consumer Protection Court (SOKiK), the Court of Appeals and the European Commission.
He advises clients from various industries including pharmaceutical, FMCG, TMT, automotive, finance and energy sectors on all aspects of competition law relating to their business activity. He conducts many seminars and workshops on competition law, including workshops on practical aspects of dawn raids procedures. Mikołaj is recommended as one of the most regarded competition practitioners in Poland by the Global Competition Review GCR 100, Who'sWho Legal, Chambers Europe and the Legal 500.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented global industrial manufacturer in the dawn raid procedure carried out by the Polish competition authority and assisted in the risk assessment and leniency related analysis and succeeded in closing the case without bringing the charges against the client.
- Conducted an in-depth competition law audit of the Polish operations of an international retail company.
- Advised a world leading project development and construction group, on commercial and competition law implications of the agreement with the buyer of their bitumen business, in particular in relation to a potential dispute based on the different business interpretation of the non-competition law clauses contained in the sale agreement.
- Represented a world leading IT company in a contentious case related to a dispute under competition law with the client’s former distributor, and successfully defended the client's position with respect to several allegations regarding abusing dominant position and committing acts of unfair competition and reaching court settlement with the distributor.
- Advised on assessed sing merger control implications of the acquisition of a competitor by global healthcare group and an appropriate method of accessing the sensitive information.
- Advised Nokia on merger control issues in the transaction regarding the creation of a JV formed for projects of the design, construction and operation of a fast fibre optic (NGA) broadband network across Poland.
- Advised AmRest sp. z o.o. in the merger control proceedings to enable the client's acquisition of its competitor, i.e. Telepizza Poland sp. z o.o.
- Advised Weber-Stephen Products, LLC in obtaining a permit of the Katowicka Special Economic Zone as well as purchasing of the property located on the territory of the zone with the investment in first manufacturing plant in Europe exceeding EUR 50 million and available CIR exemption exceeding EUR 10 million.
- Represented Passat-Stal S.A., a leading steel distributor and a subsidiary of the listed company, Bowim, in the appeal proceedings before the Minister of Fund and Regional Policy against the decision of the PARP (Polish Agency for Development of Entrepreneurship), on alleged infringement of the EU grant agreement regarding construction of the manufacturing plant and return of State aid.
- Represented UEFA before the Supreme Court in a case regarding EURO 2012 terms and conditions of tickets sales and succeeded in defending most of challenged clauses reviewed by the Supreme Court.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw District Chamber of Legal Advisers - Member
- Poland (2007)
- King's College London, UK (Post Graduate Studies European Competition Law) (2005)
- University of Warsaw (Post Graduate Studies European Law) (2003)
- Jagiellonian University (Law Degree) (2000)
Co-author, PZPM Automotive Industry Report, 2013 and 2012
Author, articles on competition law, Rzeczpospolita and Dziennik Gazeta Prawna dailies
Panelist, motor industry conferences, including in connection with presentation of KPMG and PZPM at the Ministry of Economy (2013) and Forum Top 100 (2014)