Valentin Paniagua has a solid background in mining transactions. He has extensive experience on the different commercial aspects, regulatory, corporate and litigations related to the development of the mining activity and the exploitation of natural resources in general. Currently he is advisor and director in several mining companies.
During his professional career he has participated in Project Finance, acquisition and sale of companies and assets, participating both in the definition of corporate structures, as well as in the negotiation and foreclosure of transactions. He has an extensive knowledge of legislation on soil and water, with wide experience in the acquisition, title examination and curing of real estate properties. Chambers & Partners and the Latin Lawyer have recognized his knowledge in natural resources legislation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Wealth Minerals Ltd. in the acquisition process of 100% interest in Coronet Metals Peru S.A.C., holder of the gold Yanamina Project located at the west-central of Peru, from Coronet Metals Inc. The advice included a very thorough mark up and negotiations of the SPA and ancillary documents, tax structuring and the issuance of a Title Opinion regarding the status of the mining concessions which comprise the Yanamina Project.
- Advised Inca Minerales S.A.C. a Peruvian wholly-owned subsidiary of Inca Minerals Ltd., an Australian-listed exploration company (“Inca”)on all legal matters related to its mining project (mining, labor, environmental, permitting and cultural heritage).
- Advised Woodside in all regulatory, corporate, contractual, banking, and administrative matters related to their participation in Block 108 and in their relations with the other interest holders in the License Agreement.
- Advised a multinational bank and financial services company, on behalf of three other large banks, in connection with the arrangement of a USD 1.5 billion loan to supplement the financing of a copper producer and merchandiser’s expansion project. The transaction was considered as Best Mining Financing; Best Loan 2014 by LatinFinance.
- Advised a Peruvian mining company in connection with the arrangement of a USD 100 million medium-term credit facility with the largest bank in Peru. The loan was secured by the project flows from a gold bar sales contract entered into with a precious metals and financial services company. The transaction also included a foreign exchange swap and forward agreement for USD 100 million, the highest amount for a transaction of this nature in the Peruvian market up to 2014.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Society for Mining, Petroleum and Energy - Legal Committee Member (2002-present)
- Lima Bar Association - Member
- Peru (1993)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree) (1993)