Sumet Orsirivikorn is a member of Baker McKenzie's Corporate & Commercial and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups in Bangkok. He advises mainly on legal issues in the insurance, real estate and aviation sectors. He joined the Firm in 2006.
Mr. Orsirivikorn advises on corporate structuring and restructuring, the establishment of business in Thailand, and corporate management and control. He has substantial experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts (including sale and purchase, shareholder, joint venture, bancassurance, hotel management, distributorship, and marketing and agency agreements), reviewing legal documents, and carrying out due diligence for M&A projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Providing legal advice and analysis on restrictions, rules and requirements with respect to insurance businesses in Thailand, such as foreign shareholding restrictions, reinsurance arrangements and distribution channels.
- Led legal teams assisting several multinational insurance companies in Thailand regarding their mandated conversions into public limited companies.
- Acted for life insurance companies in the bidding process, including legal due diligence, for the acquisition of insurance companies and associated bancassurance businesses.
- Led the legal team representing a private airline in obtaining an Air Operating License in Thailand and advising on a joint venture with Thai investors.
- Leading legal teams in assisting owners of hotels and resorts in the divestiture of their assets in Thailand.
- Acted for owners of a Thai food and beverage group in the sale of their business, and the subsequent reinvestment of proceeds upon completion to retain a minority share capital in the purchaser.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (2003)
- University of Durham (LL.M.) (2005)
- Thammasat University (LL.B.) (2002)