Haruhiko Ogasawara has extensive experience handling a broad range of domestic and international real estate matters and securitization. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he was a junior partner at one of Japan’s leading international law firms and a senior associate at a foreign law firm focusing on real estate securitization, public offering, capital markets and securitization. He has also completed a secondment with one of the largest foreign financial institutions in Japan. Mr. Ogasawara has authored a number of articles on corporate real estate and securitization. He is a member of the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented listed J-REIT investment corporations and their asset management companies in their merger with other listed J-REIT investment corporations.
- Represented a number of leading financial institutions with respect to their real estate securitization and financing bonds issued by TMKs — Japan limited liability companies incorporated under the asset securitization law.
- Advised a major Japanese bank in connection with its public offering bonds issued by an SPC backed by a residential mortgage originated by the bank (RMBS).
- Acted for a listed J-REIT corporation with respect to its public offering of shares and initial listing on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Represented international and domestic financial institutions and asset managers in connection with real estate non-recourse loans including GK-TK scheme.
- Advised arrangers and financial institutions on securitization of various loan receivables (especially in the structuring of RMBS, CMBS and ABS).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- New York~United States (2003)
- Japan (1996)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (LL.M.) (2002)
- University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1994)