Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Haruhiko Ogasawara has extensive experience handling a broad range of domestic and international real estate matters and securitization. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he was a junior partner at one of Japan’s leading international law firms and a senior associate at a foreign law firm focusing on real estate securitization, public offering, capital markets and securitization. He has also completed a secondment with one of the largest foreign financial institutions in Japan. Mr. Ogasawara has authored a number of articles on corporate real estate and securitization. He is a member of the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association.
Mr. Ogasawara focuses his practice on real estate securitization, real estate finance, financial instruments and exchange law, investment trust law, and finance transactions. He has extensive experience handling matters involving public offering of J-REITs, securitization of loan receivables (especially in the structuring of RMBS, CMBS and ABS), TMK bonds, and structured finance. He has also advised clients on the asset securitization law, capital markets, securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, tender offer buyouts and cross-border transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented listed J-REIT investment corporations and their asset management companies in their merger with other listed J-REIT investment corporations.
- Represented a number of leading financial institutions with respect to their real estate securitization and financing bonds issued by TMKs — Japan limited liability companies incorporated under the asset securitization law.
- Advised a major Japanese bank in connection with its public offering bonds issued by an SPC backed by a residential mortgage originated by the bank (RMBS).
- Acted for a listed J-REIT corporation with respect to its public offering of shares and initial listing on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Represented international and domestic financial institutions and asset managers in connection with real estate non-recourse loans including GK-TK scheme.
- Advised arrangers and financial institutions on securitization of various loan receivables (especially in the structuring of RMBS, CMBS and ABS).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- New York~United States (2003)
- Japan (1996)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (LL.M.) (2002)
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1994)
- Author, “Impact of the ‘Interim Report for Working Groups to Reform Legislation of Investment Trusts and Corporations’ on J-REITs,” Jigyo Saisei To Saiken Kanri, Kinzai, October 2012
- Co-author, M&A and Business Restructuring of Senior Buildings and Residences – Materials for Business, Sogo Unicom, September 2012, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, “Amendments to the Law on Securitization of Assets in 2011 and its effect on real estate securitization practice,” NBL, Shojihomu, January 2012, Language: Japanese
- Author, “Investment in the Nursing Home Using TMK (tokutei mokuteki kaisha) as the Vehicle,” Kinyu Homu Jijo, Kinzai, July 2011
- Author, “Corporate Real Estate 2009/10 Country Q&A Japan,” PLC Cross-border Handbooks, Practical Law Company, 2009
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.