Thanh Vinh Nguyen is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Ho Chi Minh City office. Prior to joining the Firm, he practiced tax and consultancy work for two international accounting firms and worked as a compliance counsel for an international insurance company. He has co-written Business Operations in Vietnam, published by The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.
Mr. Nguyen's practice focuses on tax advice and planning on corporate and individual tax issues, customs, and other general corporate commercial matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a multinational company on restructuring of R&D functions and tax planning.
- Advising a real estate developer on tax structures and planning for a merger and acquisition deal.
- Advising several construction companies on regulatory, licensing and tax issues to related to performance of projects in Vietnam.
- Representing a multi-level sale company in the tax appeal against an enterprise income tax assessment.
- Representing a leading multinational electronics products company against allegations of tax evasion by the customs authorities.
- Representing a multinational garment company against allegations of tax evasion by the customs authorities.
- Assisting a multinational bank on withholding tax issues and application of tax treaties.
- Advising a multinational cosmetics company on tax and customs issues with respect to the operation of the local trading company.
- Advising a multinational courier express company on Vietnamese tax issues related to agents’ operations.
- Advising a telecommunications company on Vietnamese tax issues related to its bidding and providing services in Vietnam.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar Association of Ho Chi Minh City - Vietnam - Member
- Vietnam (2007)
- University of Ho Chi Minh City (LL.B.) (1999)
- University of Ho Chi Minh City (B.A. English) (1994)