Jorge S. Narváez-Hasfura
With 33 years of experience, Jorge has been voted as the Latin America Tax Litigation and Disputes Practice Leader of the Year (2020) by the International Tax Review. He has been nominated to appear in the Guide to the World's Leading Transfer Pricing Advisers. He has been ranked as one of the leading tax practitioners in Mexico by Chambers & Partners every year since 2011, and as of 2018 he has been ranked in two different practice areas. He has been ranked by Legal 500 and by World Tax as one of the top tax disputes attorneys in Mexico and praised by well-known international publications for his transfer pricing and corporate reorganization work alongside his very strong practice in tax rulings, treaties and litigation.
As of October 2014, he has been chairing the Global Tax Dispute Resolution Group of Baker McKenzie. Formerly, he has acted as chair of the Latin American Tax Practice Group and member of the Global Tax Steering Committee of Baker McKenzie, as well as member of the Global Transfer Pricing Subgroup of Baker McKenzie and chair of the Latin American Value-Added Tax Practice Group and member of the Global Value-Added Tax Steering Committee of Baker McKenzie. As of October 2013, he was appointed as member of the Global Financial Committee of Baker McKenzie, representing Latin America.
He is founder member of the Legislative Tax Analysis Group (ATRIL). In March 2012 he was appointed by the Mexican president, for a four-year term, as honorary independent advisor and member of the Sounding Board of the Mexican Taxpayers' Ombudsman (the PRODECON). In early 2021, he wrote the foreword of the book Taxpayers Rights in a Transparent and Global Society, which was globally published by the PRODECON. Early this year Jorge presented at the 5th Meeting of Vienna Multi-Stakeholder Group on Improving Cross-border Dispute Resolution organized by the United Nations and the OECD. Jorge has also participated as an author in the special edition recently published by IDC Mexico dealing with BEPS writing about Action 12. In May 2019, Jorge participated as speaker at the Global Tax Conference, Driving the Future, organized by Harvard ASH Center, Kennedy School of Government and the Irish Tax Institute in Dublin, Ireland.
Representative Legal Matters
Tax litigation: Sony, Valaris (Ensco, PLC), Adidas, Amway, Oracle, Helmerich & Payne, Cisco Systems, Murata Powers Solutions, The Walt Disney Company, Fresh del Monte Products, Nestle, Hasbro, Reckitt Benckiser, etc.
Tax consultancy: Facebook, Google, Spotify, Open Table, Wintershall, Evonik, Bristol, Airbnb, Ensco, Sony, Whirlpool, Office Depot, McCormick, Mincer, Adidas, Apple, UBS, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, Seadrill, Transocean, Epicor, Schlumberger, Givaudan, Amazon, Autodesk, Hines, etc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tax Committee of the Mexican Bar Association - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- British Chamber of Commerce of Mexico - Member
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce of Mexico - Member
- Mexico (1987)
- Escuela Libre de Derecho (J.D.)
- University of Notre Dame (LL.M.)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diplomado en Derecho Tributario)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diplomado en Impuestos)
- International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation IBFD (International Taxation)
- Harvard Kennedy School (Comparative Tax Policy and Administration)
Firm Committee Memberships
- Regional Tax Practice Group for Latin America - Former Chair
- Global Tax Steering Committee - Former Member
- Global Transfer Pricing Sub-Group - Former Member
- Global Value Added Tax Steering Committee - Former Member