Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Jessica handled the following matters:
Represented an indicted individual in high-profile trade-secrets-theft criminal case (United States v. United Microelectronics Corp., 3:18-cr-00465, US District Court for the Northern District of California). This is the first case brought under the Department of Justice’s “China Initiative” announced in November 2018.
Represented key witness in high-profile trade secrets case alleging theft of trade secrets related to cutting-edge semiconductor technology by organizations linked to the Chinese government, United States v. Shih, 2:18-cr-00050(A)-JAK, US District Court for the Central District of California.
Represented the City and County of Honolulu in connection with various federal criminal investigations in Honolulu and related proceedings in federal District Court in Hawaii.
Representing Bay Area medical doctor in complex and high-profile 30+ defendant health care fraud prosecution involving allegations of kick-backs to home health care agency Amity Home Health.
Representing main defendant in 40+ defendant complex health care fraud and RICO prosecution in the Northern District of California, United States v. Karapedyan, et. al., 3:15-cr-00234, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Represented Bay Area school lunch company regarding criminal case alleged against Chief Operating Officer for alleged cyber-breach against competitor including conducting internal investigation.
Represented UK national indicted in the Northern District of California for US. antitrust Sherman Act Section 1 violations related to online sales. The case involved international extradition and INTERPOL issues as well as the first of its kind antitrust prosecution for alleged use of algorithms to fix prices.
Representing former Uber Information Security lead in internal and follow-on investigations regarding several alleged un-reported cyber breaches.
Represented committee of the Board of Directors of non-public clean energy start-up in surgical-scope investigation regarding whistleblower allegations of potential False Claims Act and various other violations.
Represented immigration attorney in SEC investigation regarding Regional Center marketing activities in the EB5 Visa context.
- Named among the top Women in Investigations, Global Investigations Review, 2021
- Leading Individual, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations in California, Chambers USA 2020 - 2021
- Benchmark California Star - 2019, State Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2018-2020
- 40 & Under Hotlist, Benchmark Litigation, 2018, 2020
- Rising Stars, White Collar Crime, Law360, 2017
- Top Women Lawyers in California, Daily Journal, 2017
- Top 40 Under 40, San Francisco Business Times, 2013
- Women Leaders in Law in California,The Recorder, 2012
- Top 20 Under 40 attorneys in California, Daily Journal, 2010
- Northern California Super Lawyers, White Collar Crime, 2013-2019
- Northern California Rising Stars, White Collar Crime, 2009-2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association - Global vice chair
- American Bar Association - Co-chair, White Collar Crime Subcommittee for Northern California (2014-present)
- ABA Criminal Justice Section - Co-chair, Women in White Collar Subcommittee (2014-present)
- Criminal Justice Section, Bar Association of San Francisco, Co-chair, Executive Committee (2010-2015)
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association - City Leader, Founding Member, San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (2006-present)
- US District Court, Northern District of California - Panel attorney, Criminal Justice Act Panel (2015-present)
- Women Defenders - Member, Board of Directors (2007-2010)
- Jewish Vocational Services - Member, Strictly Business Committee (2010-2013)
- California~United States
- Harvard Law School (JD, Member of Board of Student Advisers; Associate Articles Editor, Harvard Women's Law Journal) (2001)
- University of California, Berkeley (BA, Phi Beta Kappa; Legal Studies Department, Valedictorian, Graduation speaker (highest GPA in the Legal Studies Department)) (1998)
- Co-author, "For Laterals, Integration Means Getting Familiar With New Colleagues' 'Natural Habitats'," The American Lawyer, July 2020
- Panelist, "Updates in Cybercrime: Are We Fighting an Impossible Battle?" Securities Enforcement in 2020 and Beyond, Virtual 2020 National Institute on White Collar Crime Webinar Series, 17 June 2020
Firm Committee Memberships
- North America Litigation & Government Enforcement