Jessica is a partner in our San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. For more than two decades, she has been deeply involved in defending a range of preeminent government enforcement cases in the tech industry in California and beyond. Jess has helped a number of well-known public and private companies navigate high-profile crisis situations involving cutting-edge government enforcement and compliance issues. She has handled dozens of internal investigations for tech companies and has defended executives, employees, and groups of witnesses as "pool counsel" in cases at the forefront of evolving government enforcement including trade secrets and economic espionage, crypto-currencies, blockchain, and financial technology.
Clients appreciate Jess for her practicality, complex strategic thinking, and deft ability to assemble effective defense teams domestically and across the globe.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the former CEO of a Silicon Valley-based data analytics company in a groundbreaking enforcement action by the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding "alternative data."
- Represented a global financial services company in a complex international data security incident including conducting internal investigation, managing complicated government interactions and conducting related litigation in United States District Court involving cutting-edge discovery issues.
- Representing one of the largest technology companies in California in a global evaluation of government surveillance obligations as well as conducting a range of crisis-driven internal investigations involving emerging tech industry issues.
- Representing a politically exposed person from Eurasia in multi-year FBI and national security investigation and complex immigration litigation.
- Representing Bay Area medical doctor in complex and high-profile 30+ defendant health care fraud prosecution involving allegations of kick-backs to home health care agency Amity Home Health.
- Representing main defendant in 40+ defendant complex health care fraud and RICO prosecution (United States v. Karapedyan, et. al., 3:15-cr-00234, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California).
Prior to joining the Firm, Jessica handled the following matters:
- Represented an indicted individual in high-profile trade-secrets-theft criminal case (United States v. United Microelectronics Corp., 3:18-cr-00465, US District Court for the Northern District of California). This is the first case brought under the Department of Justice’s “China Initiative” announced in November 2018.
- Represented key witness in high-profile trade secrets case alleging theft of trade secrets related to cutting-edge semiconductor technology by organizations linked to the Chinese government, United States v. Shih, 2:18-cr-00050(A)-JAK, US District Court for the Central District of California.
- Represented the City and County of Honolulu in connection with various federal criminal public corruption investigations in Honolulu and related proceedings in federal District Court in Hawaii.
- Represented Bay Area school lunch company regarding criminal case alleged against Chief Operating Officer for alleged cyber-breach against competitor including conducting internal investigation.
- Represented UK national indicted in the Northern District of California for US. antitrust Sherman Act Section 1 violations related to online sales. The case involved international extradition and INTERPOL issues as well as the first of its kind antitrust prosecution for alleged use of algorithms to fix prices.
- Represented committee of the Board of Directors of non-public clean energy start-up in conducting internal investigation regarding whistleblower allegations of potential False Claims Act, trade secrets misappropriation, and various other violations.
- Represented the Audit Committee of a publicly traded Bay Area technology company in complex internal investigation involving revenue recognition issues and related whistleblower allegations of financial fraud in global operations.
- Named among the top Women in Investigations, Global Investigations Review, 2021
- Leading Individual, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations in California, Chambers USA 2020 - 2021
- Benchmark California Star - 2019, State Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2018-2020
- 40 & Under Hotlist, Benchmark Litigation, 2018, 2020
- Rising Stars, White Collar Crime, Law360, 2017
- Top Women Lawyers in California, Daily Journal, 2017
- Top 40 Under 40, San Francisco Business Times, 2013
- Women Leaders in Law in California,The Recorder, 2012
- Top 20 Under 40 attorneys in California, Daily Journal, 2010
- Northern California Super Lawyers, White Collar Crime, 2013-2019
- Northern California Rising Stars, White Collar Crime, 2009-2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association - Global Chair of Alumni & Membership, San Francisco Bay Area Chapter Leader (2006-present)
- American Bar Association - Co-chair, White Collar Crime Subcommittee for Northern California (2014-present)
- ABA Criminal Justice Section - Co-chair, Women in White Collar Subcommittee (2014-present)
- Criminal Justice Section, Bar Association of San Francisco, Co-chair, Executive Committee (2010-2015)
- US District Court, Northern District of California - Panel attorney, Criminal Justice Act Panel (2015-present)
- Women Defenders - Member, Board of Directors (2007-2010)
- Jewish Vocational Services - Member, Strictly Business Committee (2010-2013)
- California~United States
- Harvard Law School (JD, Member of Board of Student Advisers; Associate Articles Editor, Harvard Women's Law Journal) (2001)
- University of California, Berkeley (BA, Phi Beta Kappa; Legal Studies Department, Valedictorian, Graduation speaker (highest GPA in the Legal Studies Department)) (1998)
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, Learn How AI is Transforming the Future of Cybersecurity, AICorespot, 22 October 2021
- Speaker, Ransomware Cyber Threat Response, 19th Annual Conference of Executive Women's Forum on Information Security, Risk Management & Privacy, 21 October 2021
- Co-author, "For Laterals, Integration Means Getting Familiar With New Colleagues' 'Natural Habitats'," The American Lawyer, July 2020
- Panelist, "Updates in Cybercrime: Are We Fighting an Impossible Battle?" Securities Enforcement in 2020 and Beyond, Virtual 2020 National Institute on White Collar Crime Webinar Series, 17 June 2020
Firm Committee Memberships
- North America Litigation & Government Enforcement