Andy Moody is a partner in the Firm's Dispute Resolution and International Arbitration practices in London. He joined Baker McKenzie from another leading international firm in January 2016. Andy has extensive experience in international arbitration, mediation, expert determination and complex litigation both before the English Court and abroad. He is also a solicitor advocate and regularly sits as arbitrator. Andy is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 and Chambers.
Andy focuses his practice on international commercial and investment treaty arbitration as well as in complex, often multijurisdictional litigation. The majority of his work is cross-border and for clients in the energy, financial services, aviation, diversified industrials, and telecommunications sectors. Andy has advised on many disputes in Eastern and Western Europe, the CIS, the Middle East and Asia. He has acted as adviser and advocate in many international arbitrations under the rules of the major arbitral institutions. Andy has also regularly helped clients to obtain injunctive relief from the court in support of international arbitrations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an international oil company in an arbitration over the sale of assets in Cameroon. This arbitration was subject to English procedural and substantive law and was governed by the LCIA Rules.
- Assisted an international oil firm in English High Court proceedings related to an offshore oil spill in Nigeria.
- Counseled a Ukrainian bank in relation to a worldwide freezing order obtained from the English High Court in support of an LCIA arbitration. The worldwide freezing order was against the primary defendant in the arbitration plus 29 connected companies, and was being enforced in nine different international jurisdictions.
- Advised a large publicly-listed company in a London seat ICC arbitration and connected claim before the English High Court against Indian parties in respect of a dispute over the sale and purchase of an international drug business.
- Assisted three Dutch holding companies in their Energy Charter Treaty ICSID claim against Azerbaijan.
- Advised a Japanese trading house in an arbitration with a Russian energy company over the sale of emission reduction units under the Kyoto Protocol. This arbitration was subject to English procedural and substantive law and was governed by the LCIA Rules.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) - Former co-Chair
- LCIA - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) - Member
- ICCA's Young ICCA - Member
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) - Young Attorneys in Alternative Dispute Resolution (Y-ADR) - Member of the Steering Committee
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- College of Law at London (L.P.C.) (2000)
- College of Law at London (LL.H) (2000)
- College of Law at London (C.P.E.) (1999)
- College of Law at London (Bachelor of Applied Science) (1999)
- University of the South (B.A. Economics) (1997)
- University of the South (Law & Business Degree Economics) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.