Andy is a partner in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team based in London. He advises clients on international, commercial and investment treaty arbitration as well as in complex, often multijurisdictional litigation, mediations and expert determinations. He also advises clients on issues pertaining to private and public international law.
Andy is recommended in Who's Who Legal: Arbitration 2018 and individually ranked in the field of International Arbitration by Chambers UK, who describe him as "a 'superb' practitioner," and "very commercial" and also recognized by Legal 500, who call him "an arbitration doyen."
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an international oil major in English High Court proceedings related to an offshore oil spill in Nigeria.
- Advised a major US company in relation to a joint venture in Saudi Arabia. The arbitration is subject to English law, is seated in Dubai and is governed by the ICC Rules.
- Advised an international oil major in an arbitration over the sale of assets in Cameroon. This arbitration is subject to English procedural and substantive law and is governed by the LCIA Rules.
- Advised two BVI holding companies in respect of a shareholder dispute in a major listed Russian oil company. The arbitration was governed by the LCIA Rules and involved numerous freezing injunctions obtained from various courts around the world.
- Advised two leading global port and cargo inland services providers, based in The Netherlands and France respectively, and the JV English company on an ICC arbitration relating to a USD 1 billion port project in Ghana.
- Advised European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in two arbitrations related to a loan provided to a project in Armenia. The arbitrations are subject to English procedural and substantive law, are governed by the UNCITRAL Rules and have the LCIA as appointing authority.
- Advised EBRD in an international arbitration subject to English procedural law and Bulgarian substantive law. This arbitration was governed by the UNCITRAL rules and had the LCIA as appointing authority.
- Advised a clinical research organization in a dispute over a phase II drug trial using mobile environmental exposure chambers. This case involved allegations of dishonesty and included a worldwide freezing order.
- Advised UDG Healthcare Plc in a London seat ICC arbitration and connected claim before the English High Court against Indian parties in respect of a dispute over the sale and purchase of an international drug business.
- Advised Heinz in two international arbitration disputes and a potential high court claim in relation to the sale and purchase of consignments of beans.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Former co-chair, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, LCIA
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, ICCA's Young ICCA
- Vice chair, Committee on Energy, Oil and Gas - International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR)
- Member, Steering Committee - Young Attorneys in Alternative Dispute Resolution (Y-ADR)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- College of Law at London (L.P.C.) (2000)
- College of Law at London (LL.H) (2000)
- College of Law at London (C.P.E.) (1999)
- College of Law at London (Bachelor of Applied Science) (1999)
- University of the South (B.A. Economics) (1997)
- University of the South (Law & Business Degree Economics) (1997)
Andy has written numerous articles on arbitration, private international law and public international law in a number of leading journals and texts. He is also the co-author of the book "International Arbitration: A Practical Guide" (January 2013). He speaks and teaches regularly on international arbitration, including at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies in London and also at SOAS University of London, and has led training days on international arbitration in Mumbai, Mexico City and Istanbul.