Caspar is a senior associate in the Pensions Department and has practiced pensions law since qualifying in 2009. Caspar advises both pension scheme trustees and sponsoring employers in a variety of industries on the legal issues arising in relation to occupational pension schemes. These can range from individual member queries and complaints to regulatory considerations, issues relating to compliance with laws, and advising on transactions.
Caspar is particularly interested in advising in relation to pension scheme investments, and on contingent asset guarantees.
Caspar is also a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
Caspar is particularly interested in issues relating to pension scheme investments, including reviewing contracts for standalone investments of many types, reviewing insurance contract-based "platform" arrangements and considering terms of discretionary investment management agreements.
He also has significant experience of asset-backed funding arrangements, flexible apportionment arrangements and parent company guarantees (including Pension Protection Fund standard form guarantees).
Caspar leads an initiative focused on investment management agreements and advises on other types of investment work.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising trustees of a major pension scheme in the banking industry regarding moving GBP 2 billion of investments to an insurance contract-based investment platform.
- Advising a global outsourcing firm on putting in place asset-backed funding arrangements for two of its pension schemes in the UK.
- Providing support to a major manufacturer on a multijurisdictional transaction involving a carve-out of part of its business in a number of countries.
- Providing transaction support to a major bank on the pensions aspects of a significant joint venture investment.
- Advising a large global manufacturer on the closure of its UK defined benefits pension plan to future accrual of benefits.
- Providing advice on a significant de-risking project to an industry-wide pension scheme in which liabilities were taken on by an insurer.
- Supporting a major client on issues relating to the pensions aspects of a joint venture acquiring a business.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Pensions Lawyers - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2009)
- Presenter, "Hampshire vs PPF," Baker & McKenzie Breakfast Briefing, July 2018
- Presenter, "Scheme Deficits, Employer Debt and Trustee Issues," Association of Pension Lawyers Mergers and Acquisitions Course, May 2018
- Presenter, "Preservation, Revaluation and Transfers," Association of Pension Lawyers Introductory Course, May 2018
- Presenter, "Case Law and Pension Ombudsman Update," presentation to Willis Towers Watson, April 2018
- Presenter, "Case Law and Pension Ombudsman Update," presentation to Mercer, April 2018
- Presenter, "Scheme Deficits, Employer Debt and Trustee Issues," Association of Pension Lawyers Mergers and Acquisitions Course, May 2017
- Presenter, "Preservation, Revaluation and Transfers," Association of Pension Lawyers Introductory Course, May 2017
- Author, "Pensions Blind Spot: Reducing the Risks Associated with Pension Schemes" GTNews, February 2012