Rob Mathews is a partner in the Firm's Capital Markets Group. Rob's clients benefit from his significant experience in multinational corporate and finance transactions, notably high-yield debt offerings. Clients comment that "Rob is a high yield guru – you know you can rely on his technical advice and market knowledge." (Chambers UK, 2019) and that he is "client-focused, solution-oriented and commercial; he has many years of experience as is able to advise on any issue.” (Legal 500, 2019)
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the initial purchasers on the US$2.1 billion (equivalent) dual-tranche high yield bond offering by certain subsidiaries of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited, comprised of a US$1 billion 7.125% five-year tranche and a EUR 1 billion 6.000% five-year tranche. Advised the dealer managers on the concurrent 3 tiered priority-acceptance tender offer to purchase up to US$1.5 billion of certain of its other outstanding bonds.
- Acting for the initial purchasers in connection with the issuance by Cabot Financial (Luxembourg) II S.A. of EUR 400 million aggregate principal amount of senior secured floating rate notes due 2024.
- Acting for the lenders with respect to a USD 2.3 billion credit facility for Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited and certain of its subsidiaries.
Prior to joining the Firm, Rob advised for the following clients:
Wind Tre S.p.A. (Italian telecom) in connection with its EUR 7.3 billion issuance of high yield senior secured notes, issued pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S under the Securities Act, and in connection with a EUR 3.4 billion senior facilities agreement consisting of a EUR 3 billion amortizing term loan and a EUR 400 million revolving credit facility.
IHS Towers (African telecom) on the offering of USD 800 million 9.500% senior notes due 2021 and the Tender Offer and Consent Solicitation in respect of their outstanding USD 250 million 8.375% Guaranteed Senior Notes due 2019. The transaction is the largest ever for a Nigerian corporate and the largest high yield transaction in Africa to date.
Polish mobile telecoms operator P4 Sp. Z o.o., which trades as Play, on its ground-breaking, inaugural EUR 870 million and PLN 130 million dual-tranche high-yield bond issue and entry into a new super senior revolving credit facility. The deal is the largest euro debut high-yield transaction since 2010 and the second largest debut euro telecom issue ever.
B Communications Ltd (Israeli telecom) in its innovative debut USD 800 million high-yield bond offering. The offering was the first to be internationally marketed on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.
J.P. Morgan, HSBC and Barclays as global coordinators and Merrill Lynch International, BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Crédit Agricole, Goldman Sachs, Rabobank and Société Générale as joint bookrunners, on the Rule 144A/Regulation S debut offering of USD 1.15 billion (equivalent) senior secured notes due 2023 by OCI N.V.
Citi, Standard Bank and Standard Chartered as Global Coordinators in connection with the issuance of US$350 million 9.25% Senior High Yield Notes due 2023 by Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc, a Nigerian oil and gas exploration and production company, issued pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S under the Securities Act.
Amigo Luxembourg S.A. in its issue of GBP 275 million aggregate principle amount of 7.625% senior secured notes due 2024 under Rule 144A and Regulation S of the Securities Act 1933. Amigo is the leading company in the UK guarantor loan market. J.P. Morgan, Jefferies and The Royal Bank of Scotland (trading as NatWest Markets) acted as joint bookrunners for the offering.
- Ranked, Chambers UK, 2019
- Leading Individual, Legal 500, 2019
- England & Wales (Registered Foreign Lawyer) (2019)
- New York~United States (1996)
- New York University School of Law (JD) (1995)
- New York University School of Business (MBA) (1992)