Catherine Martougin is a partner in the Funds & Asset Management team of the Baker McKenzie Luxembourg office. She has more than 20 years' experience in business law. Prior to joining the Firm, she practiced in elite international law firms in Paris and a leading Luxembourg law firm.
Catherine represents private equity funds, real estate funds, debt and infrastructure funds and other financial institutions. She works on a range of corporate and commercial transactions, including organizational structuring and related regulatory matters (notably AIFs and AIFMs), as well as initial fund formation, complex restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, asset dispositions, secondary trades, capital raisings, real estate investments, venture capital investments, and joint venture arrangements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Berlin-based Catella Residential Investment Management GmbH (CRIM) for the set up and launch of their third European Residential Fund for international institutional clients. The fund is a Luxembourg SICAV-RAIF in the form of a common limited partnership. The objective of this open-ended Pan-European Residential fund is to build up a diversified residential real estate portfolio in Europe. The targeted volume of the fund is 1 billion EUR. Currently advising as well on the set up of a second impact fund focusing on energy positive residential properties.
- Assisted Redstone and the SBI Group in their joint project, which included the structuring and launch of a venture capital investment fund. The fund was set up as a Luxembourg special limited partnership qualifying as a SICAV-RAIF, aiming at investing in early stage companies in Industry 4.0-related sectors and with an aggregate target size of EUR 200 million.
- Assisted Kompass Global Kapital, a U.S. family office, in the restructuring of a Luxembourg holding company into a fund structure with a multi-assets investment strategy. Amongst others, we advise the client on regular legal and regulatory matters applicable to the investment vehicle and notably for its investments in various new technology companies in Switzerland and UK.
- Assisted the trust bank arm of Japan’s Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in respect of the acquisition of Commonwealth Bank of Australia’s global asset management business for AUD 4.13 billion (USD 2.93 billion) in a bid to leapfrog domestic rivals and join the world’s top 15 money managers. The deal will make it the biggest asset manager in the Asia-Oceania region. We provided regulatory and legal advice in respect of the transfer of the Luxembourg management companies and the Luxembourg funds under their management, which are under the supervision of the Luxembourg regulator, the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier. We assisted them to obtain the required clearance from the regulator.
- Advised SEB for the set-up of a real estate fund investing in development projects of affordable wood-based multi-family housing and/or elderly care facilities in small or middle-sized municipalities in Sweden and the related financing and acquisitions of the investments. The Fund will take environmental, social and governance aspects into consideration both when making investment decisions and throughout the whole investment cycle, ensuring that the investments are aligned with SEB Investment Management’s overall ESG requirements. The Fund aims to reduce the housing shortage in Sweden, hence will build energy efficient homes with affordable rent levels.
- Assisted advised Gaw Capital Partners in the context of its fund raising effort in Europe for Gateway Real Estate Fund VI which is an opportunistic real estate fund investing in properties throughout Greater China with a focus in Japan, South Korea, Australia and Southeast Asia. We have set-up of a Luxembourg vehicle aiming at gathering European Investors to invest in GREF VI.
- Assisted Vickers, a Singapore based asset manager for the launch of a parallel fund aiming at raising capital from European professional investors to invest in private equity.
- Assisted Hyga Fund for the on-shoring in Luxembourg of a fund investing in securities from the Cayman Island.
- Advised PFR TFI S.A. a Polish public entity, aiming at investing in private equity funds in the context of their investments in several Luxembourg based funds over the last six months and negotiating on their behalf special arrangements and the modifications of the funds' documentation.
- Assisted Kasset in the review and negotiations of the documentation with Lombard Odier in relation to a contemplated investment in the sub-funds of LOIM PE K Investments established under the form of a SICAV-RAIF. The investment objective is to target private equity assets, typically in the secondary market with the possibility to co-invest in private companies active in the fields of buyout, growth capital, special situations and venture capital.
- Tier 2 Firm in the Legal 500 EMEA 2021 ranking.
- Band 3 Firm in the Chambers Europe and Global 2021 rankings.
- Recognised by Chambers Europe as band 4 in the individual ranking in 2021.
- Tier 2 Firm in the IFLR1000 ranking and Highly regarded as individual.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of the Executive Board, European Association of Investors in Non–Listed Real Estate Vehicles (INREV)
- Member of the Strategy working group of the Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry (ALFI)
- Member of the Supervisory Board of Luxembourg Association for Real Estate (LuxReal)
- Member of the regulatory working group of Letzblock, Luxembourg blockchain and DLT association
- Trainer at the sessions of the Institute dedicated to fund professionals, House of Training
- Member of International Bar Association (previously Conference quality officer of the Real Estate Section)
- Member of Women for Business
- Member of Ladies in Law Luxembourg Association (LILLA)
- Luxembourg (2006)
- Paris~France (2000)
- University of Paris II (Panthéon-Assas) (LLM LLM in International Law) (1999)
- University of Paris X (Nanterre) (LLM in International Commercial Law) (1999)
- Paris Institute of Political Studies (Bachelor in Economy and Finance) (1998)
Publications and Articles
- "Regulatory Clarification on Loan Origination Activities," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, July 2021
- "Investment Funds Legal Update," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, October 2020
- "SFDR updates and the CSSF's Fast Track Procedure," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, December 2020
- "Equity bridge financing and side letters, the hidden enemies", AGEFI Luxembourg, November 2021
- "From ESG Compliance to Impact Investing: The Extra Mile of the Real Estate Fund Industry", AGEFI Luxembourg, November 2020
- "Revisiting European Marketing Rules", Agefi, December 2019
Baker & McKenzie Luxembourg is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.