Jeff Martino brings an in-depth understanding of a wide variety of white collar and fraud related matters to his antitrust litigation and investigations practice. Jeff is co-lead of the Firm's Global Cartel Task Force and represents multinational corporations and their boards and executives in high-stakes criminal and civil investigations by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and other federal and state agencies.
Jeff draws upon his extensive criminal investigations, litigation, and enforcement experience to advise clients through sensitive matters pertaining to international cartel actions and white collar investigations. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Jeff spent nearly two decades at the DOJ and his last five years as Chief of DOJ Antitrust Division's New York Office. He has extensive experience as "first chair" on trials and investigations in the most complex areas of criminal antitrust and market manipulation. Jeff's work at the DOJ included providing technical assistance to competition agencies in Asia, Africa, the Americas and Europe and overseeing matters that included international corruption and antitrust cartel offenses that entangled the largest global banks and their key executives.
Jeff utilizes his experience working with financial regulators, both internationally and domestically, competition agencies abroad, and prosecutors across the United States to defend and advise companies and senior executives on best practices in avoiding risk and ensuring holistic compliance in key business units.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represents a healthcare technology company in separate fraud and criminal antitrust investigations by the FTC and DOJ.
- Represents executives in "no poach" and wage fixing DOJ investigations.
- Represented two C-Suite executives in DOJ bid rigging investigation into security contracts at US-backed foreign installations. Both individuals were not prosecuted. This was the first cross-border investigation by DOJ's Procurement Collusion Strike Force.
- Provides antitrust and corruption compliance advice and training for multiple global companies.
Prior to joining the Firm, Jeff handled the following matters:
Defense and Government Contractors Experience
- Represented aerospace engineering company in DOJ "No Poach" investigation.
- Advised software development company doing business with Federal and state agencies on how to avoid bid rigging pitfalls with its resellers.
- Represented parent company that owned an audio/visual technology subsidiary seeking Paycheck Protection loans. Conducted internal investigation and authored self-disclosure report to the Small Business Administration's Office of Inspector General.
- Represented unmanned vehicle company in internal investigation regarding false claims act related to Air Force's SBIR program.
- Recommended in Antitrust: Civil Litigation/Class Actions Defense, The Legal 500 United States, 2020 - 2021
- Attorney General Award for Distinguished Service, 2016
- Assistant Attorney General Award of Distinction, 2015
- EOUSA Director's Award, 2013
- Department of Homeland Security, Award for Outstanding Performance for Operation "In Plain Sight," 2012
- Assistant Attorney General Award, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Competition Network: Non-Governmental Advisor to the US Department of Justice
- American Bar Association
- Antitrust Law Section, Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee: Vice Chair
- International Cartel Task Force (2019)
- Cartel and Criminal Practice Newsletter: Editor (2013 to 2015)
- New York State Bar Association
- Antitrust Section Executive Committee
- Cartel and Criminal Practice Subcommittee: Chair
- California Lawyer’s Association, Antitrust, UCL, and Privacy Section
- New York~United States
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado~United States
- California~United States
- District of Columbia~United States
- The City University of New York School of Law (JD, New York City Law Review, Executive Managing Editor) (2002)
- University of Nebraska (MPA) (1999)
- Oklahoma City University (BA Criminal Justice) (1996)
- Co-author, "United States: President Biden issues Executive Order to promote Vigorous Antitrust Enforcement in Key Markets," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 12 July 2021
- Co-author, "Hitting Your Cartel Pitch Meeting Out of the Park," Cartel & Criminal Practice Committee Newsletter, February 2021
- Co-author, "Competition and Corruption: Key Developments in Cross-Border Investigations," Competition Law Insight, September 2020
- Co-author, "Food Industry Antitrust During COVID-19," Bloomberg Law, July 2020
- Co-author, "Enforcement at the CFTC Takes Shape,” Wall Street Lawyer, May 2020
- Co-author, "Responding to DOJ’s Increasing Int’l Antitrust Extraditions,” Law360, April 2020