Hector has more than 14 years of experience as an attorney in Venezuela. He has participated in legal assessment for important national and international companies. He has taken part in contract negotiations with the Venezuelan State authorities. Hector has solid experience in the telecom, data privacy, environmental, mines and oil and gas sectors. Additionally, he has been actively involved in expropriation procedures.
Hector has experience advising clients on investment protection in Venezuela under the Bilateral Treaty for the Promotion and Protection of Investments and representing clients in international investment arbitration proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) with seat in Paris and under the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Rules with seat in Paris. Additionally, Hector has an important experience in oil and gas sector in Venezuela; Hector participated in a secondment with our client, Equinor, for the negotiation of the exploitation of a gas platform (Plataforma Deltana) between Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago and the company, TotalEnergies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and represented international clients regarding investment arbitration proceedings before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), including Longeef Investment, Anglo American, Agroisleña, and Heemsen.
- Advised clients on investment protection in Venezuela under the Bilateral Treaty for the Promotion and Protection of Investments.
- Advised international companies in the negotiation of contracts with Venezuelan authorities and in the acquisition of permissions and licenses before government organisms, including IVC Channel, Anglo American.
- Participated in legal advice to clients in contractual relations with companies from the State and the incorporation of joint enterprises with the State.
- Advising clients on constitutional and administrative law, relations between the public administration and the private sector including Equinor, TotalEnergies, Eni Venezuela, Halliburton.
- Advising clients on environmental matters before the State authorities, including Equinor, TotalEnergies, Eni Venezuela.
- Advising clients on regulatory matters regarding closing their business in Venezuela.
- Advised international companies on data privacy regulations in Venezuela, including Meta, Instagram, Apple, Netflix, Disney, HBO, among others.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Caracas Law Bar
- Monteavila University - Profesor (2019)
- Venezuela (2008)
- Geneva University (International Arbitration degree diploma) (2020)
- Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (Specialization in Administrative law) (2015)
- Universidad Monteavila (hydrocarbons and natural resources law degree diploma ) (2009)
- Universidad Metropolitana (corporate law degree diploma ) (2008)
- Universidad Metropolitana (J.D.) (2008)
Baker & McKenzie SC is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.