Sebastien Marcelin-Rice is a banking partner in Baker McKenzie’s London office. Sebastien has broad experience across a range of financing transactions and products, including real estate finance, leveraged and acquisition finance (advising both lenders and private equity sponsors), distressed asset acquisitions, cross-border restructurings, high growth markets financings, and other general banking work.
Sebastien's experience includes a nine-month senior secondment to a major investment bank in London. Before joining Baker McKenzie, Sebastien spent ten years as an associate in the London, Paris and Milan offices of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP where he also trained.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a US real estate investment fund on the financing of an Italian real estate group.
- Advising two investment funds on their joint financing of a Spanish real estate development group by way of profit participating instruments.
- Advising Commerzbank AG on a US$300m loan facility to finance the acquisitions of a minority stake in a Chinese corporate.
- Advising French real estate fund AEW Europe on its acquisition of a senior debt position in the senior-mezz refinancing of a distressed French commercial real estate asset.
- Advising an existing real estate investment manager on (and coordinating all aspects) the structuring and listing of a new real estate investment fund to be listed in Amsterdam on the Euronext.
- Advising Colony Capital LLC on the distressed refinancing of a large Madrid real estate asset.
- Advising Colony Capital LLC on its bid for the Project Gaudi Spanish and Portuguese loan portfolio being disposed of by a German "bad bank".
- Advising The Children Investment Fund and Taconic Capital Partners on the financing of the junior debt required by Villar Mir Energia to support its committed bid for EON's Spanish power generation assets (bid unsuccessful).
- Advising Platinum Equity on obtaining a borrowing base working capital facility for a recent Spanish distressed acquisition.
- Advising a Swiss Steel Trader on the financing of its unsecured, subordinated working capital facility.
- Advising CVC and KKR on the financing aspects of their bid for the Kuwaiti based Americana group.
- Advising Commerzbank AG on a US$200m loan facility to a Chinese corporate.
- Advising Colony Capital LLC on the distressed re-financing of a Madrid hotel.
- Advising Colony Capital LLC on the financing of a Spanish real estate development and operating business.
- Advising The Children Investment Fund on the acquisition of a distressed debt position in a Spanish project financing.
- Advising The Children Investment Fund the acquisition of a drawn commitment in a distressed Spanish leveraged syndicated loan within a layered capital structure
- Advising Goldman Sachs on a proposed ECA backed Norwegian receivable financing (transaction not completed).
- Advising a large Spanish conglomerate on the TLB refinancing of its existing banking facilities.
- Advising Colony Capital in relation to the bid process structuring and acquisition of a €216 million Spanish commercial real estate backed non-performing loan portfolio from Lloyds Banking Group.
- Advising Colony Capital in relation to a bid to purchase a €756 million pan-European commercial real estate backed non-performing loan portfolio including assets in Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, Spain and the UK (Colony withdrew from this auction for commercial reasons).
- Advising Goldman Sachs in connection with the refinancing of certain loan facilities of the Barchester Healthcare group as part of the group's restructuring.
- Advising a private fund on the provision of trade finance facilities to a UK trading house selling equipment to African mining businesses.
- Advising Commerzbank AG on a $50 million loan facility for Belarusbank.
- Advising Bernard Matthews Holdings in connection with its restructuring involving an investment by Rutland Partners for a controlling stake in the business.
- Advising SVG Asia on a fund finance revolving credit facility provided by ING.
- Advising Cinque Terre Financial Group on its commodity finance facility provided by Macquarie relating to its oil trading business in the BVI and the Dominican Republic.
- Advising a leading sports and F1 car manufacturer on the refinancing and increase of their banking facilities.
- Advising FremantleMedia Group Ltd in relation to security arrangements to reduce its counterparty risk Croatia.
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank on a €100 million loan to a large corporate in Uganda (transaction documented but aborted at a late stage).
- Advising Credit Suisse in coordinating a US$220 million refinancing of a Romanian oil drilling and construction platform leasing and services business.
- Advising Credit Suisse as coordinating arranger for a €300 million acquisition financing for a large Romanian Borrower in the media and telecoms sector.
- Advising ING Bank NV and Rabobank International on a €600 million acquisition facility for Koninklijke Frieslandcampina N.V. for acquisitions to be made in the CEE and South-East Asia.
- Advising Credit Suisse as Mandated Lead Arranger and Lender on a $50,000,000 Russian oil field loan financing for Exillon Energy PLC.
- Advising Credit Suisse on certain aspects of its financing of CanBaikal Resources Inc's Russian operations.
- Advising a large listed corporate (non-UK) in the manufacturing sector on the restructuring of its €1.6 billion banking facilities.
- Advising the Italian Avio group on amendments to its €1.6 billion financing arrangements.
- Advising Lucchini S.P.A. on certain UK law aspects of its restructuring.
- Advising AEA Investors (London) on its leveraged acquisition of the Lone Star group financed by Lloyds TSB.
- Advising BNP Paribas Fortis on the financing of Waterland Private Equity and Couckinvest NV for their successful offer for Omega Pharma.
- Advising Eurotunnel Group on its £6 billion restructuring through a “Procedure de Sauvegarde”, refinancing and restructuring, debt repackaging/securitisation.
- Advising Straumur Investment Bank and Landsbanki Islands Hf in connection with the restructuring of subordinated junior lender commitments forming a part of the Novator Pharma/Actavis group EUR4.5 billion financing.
- Advising Babcock & Brown on its £3.6 billion acquisition of Angel Trains from RBS.
- Advising Goldman Sachs International as MLA of a GBP332 million property financing for Westbrook Partners through a Jersey Property Unit Trust structure.
- Advising Ferrovial and certain private equity sponsors in connection with the £9 billion financing of their successful bid for BAA plc.
- Advising Party Gaming PLC in connection with the financing of its liquidity facility required in connection with merger with bwin.
- Advising CVC, Texas Pacific Group and Merrill Lynch in connection with the financing of their acquisition of Debenhams plc and the group’s subsequent Propco/Opco restructuring and pre-IPO refinancing.
- Advising Apax Partners in connection with the £2.05 billion financing of the General Healthcare Group plc portfolio of hospitals through a Propco/Opco structure.
- Advising Cinven in relation to a number of bids for secondary buyouts.
- Advising Henderson Global Investments in their securitisation with mezzanine financing of a GBP650 million property portfolio through a Jersey Property Unit Trust structure.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- College of Law at London (L.P.C.) (1999)
- Oxford Brookes University (Post Graduate Degree Law) (1998)
- Oxford University (Exeter College) (B.A. Psychology & Philosophy 2.1 BA Honors) (1997)