Baker & McKenzie Limited Attorneys at Law
Purachate joined Baker McKenzie in 2011 and became a partner in 2022. With more than ten years of experience, he handles a huge range of deals and transactions and has gained a deftness in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate structures and restructurings, real estate transactions and real estate development.
He was also instrumental in the establishment of Thailand's first real estate investment trust, Thailand's first offshore hospitality real estate investment trust and Thailand's first energy-related infrastructure fund, which have marked the significance in alternative fundraising in the Thai capital market.
Purachate advises on corporate structures and corporate restructuring, corporate management and control, foreign direct investment, and joint ventures and strategic alliances. He also leads the team in merger and acquisitions transactions, including legal due diligence exercises, transaction structuring, contract drafting and negotiations, transaction closing and post-acquisition integration. He has substantial experience in drafting, commenting on, and negotiating commercial agreements, share purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, shareholders agreements, lease agreements, service agreements and various complex commercial agreements. His expertise extends to property fund, private equity for real estate investment, real estate investment trust and infrastructure fund.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised client in the establishment of the first publicly listed Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT), the first offshore hospitality REIT and the first energy-related infrastructure fund in Thailand.
- Advised a US-based private equity firm in the acquisition of global mobility service business including shareholding structures and joint venture and shareholders arrangements.
- Represented a UK life insurance operator with their entry into Thailand's asset management market, via the acquisition of 65% of total issued shares in an asset management company from a Thai financial institution and advised on distribution and post-merger integration matters.
- Assisted a Thai retailer, as co-counsel, on the intended acquisition of a large supermarket chain for its Thailand and Malaysia business comprising about 2,000 stores. The deal was carried out via a competitive bidding in what has become one of Asia's largest acquisitions in 2020.
- Represented a leading Thai media operator in the disposal of shares and termination of joint venture arrangements in an entertainment and media production, including the assignment and transfer of trademarks and rights in television programs.
- Represented a Japan headquartered leading mobile application company on its investments, merger, spin-off, integration and fundraising activities in Thailand.
- Represented an NYSE-listed multinational chemical companies in relation to merger, spin-off, application for investment promotion and integration of their agricultural, material sciences and specialty products businesses in Thailand.
- Represented a Danish-based facility management services provider in a share sale transaction of Thai security service, cleaning service and facility management service subsidiaries.
- Represented multinational companies in merger and acquisitions transactions, including legal due diligence exercises, transaction structuring, foreign direct investment, contract drafting and negotiations, transaction closing and post acquisition integration.
- Provided legal advice with respect to real estate developments, sales and acquisitions, including acting for a number of hotel, condominium and mixed use project developers.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (2012)
- Harvard Law School (LLM) (2014)
- Chulalongkorn University (LLB First Class Honours) (2011)
Publications & Events
- Contributor, "Thailand Trends and Developments", Chambers 'Corporate M&A 2022' Global Practice Guide, 2022
- Presenter, "M&A Trends, Key Issues and Strategy for Successful M&A", The Stock Exchange of Thailand Live Event, 2021
- Contributor, "Thailand Trends and Developments", Chambers ‘Corporate M&A 2021' Global Practice Guide, 2021
- Co-author, "REIT Updates: Introduction of Private REITs — the most recent tool for real estate investment in Thailand", Baker McKenzie publication, June 2021
- Co-author, "REIT Updates: More flexibility on rental structure and offering period", Baker McKenzie publication, June 2021
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.