David Malliband currently serves as managing partner of Baker McKenzie's Chicago Office and was formerly chair of its Corporate & Securities Practice Group in Chicago. He has over 25 years' experience advising multinational corporations on cross-border transactions. David has practiced in each of Baker McKenzie's Sydney, London and Chicago Offices, and has closed transactions for companies around the world in a wide variety of industries.
He has been recognized as a "Star Lawyer" by Acritas and for delivering superior client service in The BTI Client Service "All-Star Team" for Corporate Transactions report, based on interviews with Fortune 1000 companies.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised Dun & Bradstreet Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: DNB) on its acquisition of Bisnode Business Information Group AB, a leading European data and analytics firm.
Advised Embracer Group AB, the Swedish publicly traded video game holding company, on various transactions, including the acquisition of Gearbox Entertainment and the acquisition of the assets of Saber Interactive.
Advised McDonald's Corporation (NYSE: MCD), with respect its acquisition of Dynamic Yield, a website personalization and decision logic technology company based in Israel.
Advised F45 Training, the Australian fitness group, with respect to the acquisition by Mark Wahlberg and FOD Capital of a minority stake in F45.
Advised Crane Co. (NYSE: CR) on its acquisition of Crane & Co, Inc., a supplier of secure and highly engineered banknotes for central banks around the world.
Advised ICU Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ: ICUI), on various transactions, including as international counsel on the acquisition of the Hospira infusion pump business from Pfizer Inc. across 30 countries, and on the acquisition of Excelsior Medical Corporation from RoundTable Healthcare Partners (along with the simultaneous sale by ICU of Excelsior’s pre-filled saline and flush syringe business to Medline Industries, Inc).
Advised the Management Consulting Group on the sale of the Kurt Salmon strategy consulting business.
Advised Pace Development Corporation PLC, a Thai public limited company, on the acquisition of Dean & Deluca, Inc., the gourmet food retail chain.
Represented Booking Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG) in separate acquisitions of FareHarbor (an online booking and tour operator), buuteeq (a US-based hotel internet marketing company) and the Agoda Company (an online travel company based in South-East Asia).
Advised Sims Metal Management (and its predecessor entities) (ASX: SGM) on various transactions, including the merger between the Sims Group (an Australian public company) and Metal Management Inc (a US public company traded on the NYSE) for USD 1.6 billion, and acquisition of the US metals recycling business of Hugo Neu Corporation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The International Business Forum at the Executives' Club - Chair
- Advance.org – Lifetime Ambassador and prior member, Board of Directors
- Economic Club of Chicago - Member
- Executives' Club of Chicago - Member
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs - prior member, Board of Directors
- New York State Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, Law Society of England & Wales and Law Society of New South Wales, Australia – Member
- Illinois~United States (2003)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- New York~United States (2001)
- New South Wales~Australia (1996)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M., Honors) (2000)
- University of Queensland (LL.B., Honors) (1993)
- University of Queensland (Bachelor of Commerce) (1991)