David Malliband currently serves as chair of the Corporate & Securities Practice Group in Chicago and has over 20 years experience advising multinational corporations on cross-border transactions. He has practiced in each of Baker McKenzie's Sydney, London and Chicago Offices, and has closed transactions for companies around the world in a wide variety of industries.
David has been recognized as a "Star Lawyer" by Acritas and for delivering superior client service in The BTI Client Service "All-Star Team" for Corporate Transactions report, based on interviews with Fortune 1000 companies. He is a member of the American Bar Association’s Task Force on International Transactions, and has served on the editorial working group of the ABA’s International M&A Due Diligence Project.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Crane Co., a US public company, on its agreement to acquire Crane & Co, Inc., a supplier of secure and highly engineered banknotes for central banks around the world (USD 800 million).
- Advised ICU Medical, Inc., a US public company, (i) as international counsel on the acquisition of the Hospira infusion pump business from Pfizer Inc. across 30 countries (USD 900 million), and (ii) as lead transaction counsel on the acquisition of Excelsior Medical Corporation from RoundTable Healthcare Partners, along with the simultaneous sale by ICU of Excelsior’s pre-filled saline and flush syringe business to Medline Industries, Inc.
- Advised the Management Consulting Group on the sale of the Kurt Salmon strategy consulting business.
- Advised Pace Development Corporation PLC, a Thai public limited company, on the acquisition of Dean & Deluca, Inc., a gourmet food retail chain.
- Advised Iluka Resources Limited, the Australian mining multinational, on a titanium development and processing joint venture with Vale SA, involving the Tapira mining complex in Brazil.
- Represented The Priceline Group in separate acquisitions of buuteeq (a US-based hotel internet marketing company), and the Agoda Company (an online travel company based in South-East Asia).
- Represented CareFusion Corporation in various transactions, including the acquisition of the Vital Signs business from GE Healthcare, the sale of CareFusion’s International Surgical Products distribution business to Medline Inc., and the sale of CareFusion’s global neurodiagnostic business to Natus Medical Inc.
- Advised US-based mining multinational on acquisition, investment and development opportunities in the United States, Latin America, China and Mongolia.
- Advised Sims Metal Management (and its predecessor entities) on a range of transactions including the merger between the Sims Group (an Australian public company) and Metal Management Inc (a US public company traded on the NYSE) for USD 1.6 billion, and acquisition of the US metals recycling business of Hugo Neu Corporation (approx. USD 450 million).
- Represented Ashland Inc., a US-based multinational in a range of transactions including the sale of its global marine services business, known as "Drew Marine," to J.F. Lehman & Co. (approx. USD 120 million), Ashland's acquisition of the water treatment chemicals business from Degussa AG across 12 countries (approx. EUR 120 million), and the sale of its worldwide electronic chemicals business across 12 countries (approx. USD 300 million).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Chicago Council on Global Affairs – Board of Directors
- Advance.org – Lifetime Ambassador & prior member, Board of Directors
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- Chicago Bar Association – Member
- Law Society of England & Wales – Member
- Law Society of New South Wales – Member
- Illinois~United States (2003)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- New York~United States (2001)
- New South Wales~Australia (1996)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M. Honors) (2000)
- University of Queensland (LL.B. Honors) (1993)
- University of Queensland (Bachelor of Commerce) (1991)