Stephanie Magnus is a principal in the Corporate & Securities Practice Group and the head of the Financial Services & Regulatory practice in Singapore. She has significant experience in compliance, and she focuses on regulatory issues, particularly in the financial services, insurance and commodities sectors. Her practice also includes mergers and acquisitions in the financial services sector.
Representative Legal Matters
M&A in the financial services sector
- Advised Sompo Japan, Inc. on its acquisition of Tenet Insurance Company, Ltd, a licensed general insurance company in Singapore, from Hwa Hong Corporation and its wholly owned subsidiary Hwa Hong Capital (Pte) Ltd. The transaction was worth SGD95 million.
- Advised AMP on the contemporaneous (i) acquisition of a 50 percent stake in each of Macarthurcook Investment Managers (Asia) Ltd and Macarthurcook Property Management Pte Ltd from Macarthurcook Ltd, (ii) private placement of Macarthurcook Industrial REIT units to AMP, (iii) subscription of AMP’s pro-rata entitlement of a rights issue undertaken by Macarthurcook Industrial REIT, (iv) the sub-underwriting of the rights issue by AMP; and (v) the sale of four industrial properties to Macarthurcook Industrial REIT.
- Advised Kirin Holdings Company, Ltd on the acquisition of approximately 14.7 percent of the total shares in Fraser & Neave Ltd from Seletar Investments Pte Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Temasek Holdings Pte Ltd. The transaction was worth SGD1.3 billion.
- Advised AXA Financial Services on its bid to acquire the entire life insurance business of an insurer which had operations in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. The bid included the establishment of a strategic bancassurance partnership between the UOB group and AXA.
- Advised Julius Baer on its proposed bid for the acquisition of ING Asia Private Bank Ltd. Co-ordinated the due diligence required in all Asian countries where ING had operations.
Financial services regulatory
- Advising banks, insurers and capital market intermediaries in respect of the feasibility of setting up operations in Singapore, and assisting clients with licensing and regulatory issues, including assisting with license applications with the Monetary Authority of Singapore and IE Singapore.
- Advises numerous financial institutions on customer documentation.
- Advises numerous financial institutions on ongoing compliance requirements and regulations (including KYC and AML Rules).
- Advises clients on the offering and marketing of securities and investment products in Singapore and in the region, including advice on safe harbor transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Institute of International Affairs
- Singapore (2001)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B. Honors) (2000)