Stephanie Magnus heads the Firm's Financial Services Regulatory and FinTech Practice in Singapore. She has significant experience in compliance, fintech in the financial services, insurance and commodities sectors. Her practice also includes mergers and acquisitions in the financial services sector. Stephanie is named in Chambers Asia Pacific for her "timely, practical and business oriented" advice, with a "deep understanding of the regulatory regime."
Stephanie regularly advises international banks, capital markets intermediaries, fund managers, insurance companies and other financial institutions on financial services compliance and regulatory matters.
Stephanie also actively helps financial services clients in merger and acquisition transactions, particularly where these transactions involve the acquisition or sale of regulated financial services companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a major fintech company on its successful application to the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) for a remittance license, and provided general advice on ongoing compliance and regulatory requirements, taking into account the client's unique business model.
- Advised a wealth management firm to apply to the MAS for a capital markets services license for fund management in Singapore. The client intends to launch its digital wealth management platform providing personalized and automated portfolio management services to both retail and accredited investors.
- Advised a blockchain platform with setting up an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) platform in Singapore.
Financial Services / Insurance M&A
- Advised Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited on its acquisition of First Capital Insurance Limited, one of Singapore’s largest non-life insurers.
- Advised Allianz on its successful bid for a 15-year bancassurance agreement with Standard Chartered Bank to distribute general insurance products
- Advised an insurance company in Singapore on the acquisition of an insurance broker in Singapore.
Financial Services Regulatory
- Advising and running investigations for banks and other financial institutions in respect of various potential breaches of financial regulation, including AML/KYC, market misconduct and/or insider trading provisions.
- Advising banks, insurers and capital market intermediaries in respect of the feasibility of setting up operations in Singapore, and assisting clients with licensing and regulatory issues. These include assisting with, and securing a license for (i) recognized market operators, (ii) general and life insurers (and reinsurers), (iii) capital markets services licenses, (iv) financial advisers licenses.
- Assisting with license applications with the Monetary Authority of Singapore and IE Singapore, including bank, insurance, capital market services, financial advisers and commodities licenses.
- Advising clients on the offering and marketing of securities and investment products in Singapore and in the region, including advice on safe harbor transactions.
- Recognized as an Acritas Star, 2018
- Recognized as a Leading Individual in Financial Services Regulatory, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
- Ranked Band 2 in Banking & Finance: Regulatory, Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- Recognized as a Notable Practitioner, Chambers Professional Advisers FinTech Guide 2018
- "Up and Coming" - Insurance (Singapore), Chambers Asia Pacific 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Academy of Law
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore (2001)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B. Honors) (2000)