Ean Mac Pherson is a partner in the Firm’s Tokyo office. His practice focuses on energy and resources acquisitions and joint ventures, major projects and corporate work with a particular emphasis on investments in listed mining companies.
Prior to joining the Baker McKenzie Tokyo office, Mr. Mac Pherson worked for the litigation and arbitration practice group at Baker McKenzie’s Bangkok office between 1995 and 1998 and the major projects/corporate practice group at Baker McKenzie Sydney office between 1999 and 2003.
Whilst working in the Baker McKenzie Sydney office, Mr. Mac Pherson was seconded to act as Australian General Counsel for the Australian division of a major Japanese trading house with extensive interests in the Australian mining, forestry, commodities trading and energy sectors.
Mr. Mac Pherson focuses his practice in the areas of mining, oil and gas, power, projects and listed company investments. He regularly assists Japanese utilities, trading companies and mining companies investing in mining projects in countries such as Australia, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Canada and other mining jurisdictions.
His practice also includes advising clients investing in listed companies in both the mining, resources and other sectors. He has acted for clients that have acquired shareholding interests in listed mining companies as cornerstone IPO investors, as strategic substantial shareholders and via the restructuring and subsequent stock exchange listing of various energy and resources joint venture projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Japanese trading company on the restructuring of its investment in a marine fuel company with operations in Singapore, the United States and the Middle East and that fuel company’s subsequent IPO on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Represented a Japanese cornerstone investor acquiring a substantial shareholding interest in an Australian coal company on its IPO on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Acted for Japanese investors in more than 10 coal mine acquisitions and interest sales in Australia, Indonesia and Canada.
- Represented a consortium of Japanese shipping and trading companies to establish a joint venture with a Vietnamese state owned company for the development of a major port in Northern Vietnam.
- Acted for a Japanese trading company acquiring an 11.25 percent interest in an operating oil and gas project in the Bass Strait.
- Acted for a Japanese utility acquiring an equity interest in a major West Australian LNG project.
- Represented a Japanese trading company acquiring a 29.8 percent interest in a listed French automobile distributor.
- Acted for a consortium of Japanese power utilities on a uranium exploration joint venture in South Australia.
- Acted for a Japanese utility which was the successful bidder in the 2007 Thai IPP process.
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2009)
- New South Wales~Australia (1999)
- University of Sydney (LL.M.) (2003)
- Australian National University (B.A. Asian Studies/Thai) (1994)
- Australian National University (LL.B.) (1994)