Carlos Maass-Porras is an associate in the Real Estate & Infrastructure Industry Group of Baker McKenzie’s Juarez office. He joined the Firm in 2007. His pro bono work includes legal assistance in real estate transactions to non-profit associations such as Fundación del Empresariado Chihuahuense and Patronato Amigos del Museo Hacia una Nueva Imagen.
Mr. Maass-Porras has extensive experience in real estate, infrastructure, renewable energy, and major projects involving oil, gas and electricity. He has provided legal advice and assistance to several companies in connection with public tenders and public contracting with a number of the most important public companies in Mexico, including the Federal Commission of Electricity (CFE) and Petroleos Mexicanos (PEMEX). He also assists clients before the Mexican energy authorities in matters related to the procurement of power importation and self-supply permits. Mr. Maass' experience also includes aeronautical legal matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised AES Corporation regarding the due diligence for the acquisition of two different wind power projects located in Oaxaca, Mexico.
- Advised Suez Energy North America in connection with the legal due diligence for the acquisition of certain project for power dispatched from a 396 MW wind farm located in Oaxaca, Mexico.
- Advised Suez Energy North America in connection with the public bid for “Oaxaca I,” regarding the construction of one wind park and the execution of certain power purchase agreements with the Mexican Federal Commission of Electricity.
- Advised hotels in processing various permits for the generation of electricity with the Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Advised and assisted an important US company in connection with the rules of contracting with PEMEX Refinacion related to a project for the supply of hydrogen to the refinery in Salamanca, as well as the new refinery in Tula.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asociacion Nacional de Abogados de Empresa - Member
- Mexico (2009)
- Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juárez (Law Degree) (2009)