Louis Liu's practice encompasses a range of fields including mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, antitrust, employment, and general corporate and commercial matters. He also has advised many multinational corporations in IT, green energy, financial services, and venture capital industries on matters including M&A, strategic alliances, structured financings, joint ventures, franchise and distribution arrangements, employee relations, capital markets transactions, and cross-border disputes.
Mr. Liu has led several significant M&A deals in Taiwan involving complicated deal structures and major regulatory issues, His experience also includes Taiwan antitrust and competition matters and employment law. In addition, he has been involved in a number of significant projects for Japanese companies investing in Taiwan and has advised them on a wide range of regulatory compliance issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Mediatek Inc. in connection with its tender offer and merger of Mstar Semiconductor.
- Represented Mitsui & Co. in connection with its purchase of 20 percent shares of a private company in Taiwan.
- Represented Mitsui & Co. in connection with its purchase of 15 percent new shares of Formosa Epitaxy through private placement to establish an LED alliance.
- Represented Mitsubishi UFJ in its purchase of 5 percent new shares issued by Chailease Holdings through private placement.
- Represented Grand Cathay Securities in connection with WPG Holdings’ USD558 million acquisition of Yosun, the second largest semiconductor chip distributor in the Asia Pacific region.
- Represented Fubon Financial Holding in connection with its USD600 million acquisition of ING Life Insurance Co., Ltd. by a combination of new shares and debt.
- Represented Yuanta Securities in connection with WPG Holdings’s 100 percent acquisition of AIT and Pernas.
- Represented Manz Automation in connection with its USD60 million tender offer of 75 percent shares in Intech Technology.
- Represented Rentokil Initial in connection with its 100 percent acquisition of Ding Sharn.
- Represented Yi Dah Industrial in the issuance of Series A Preferred Shares to Crimson Capital by Global Master, the holding company of Yi Dah that controls its China operation.
- Nominated as "Leaders in Their Fields" in banking and finance, Chambers Global, 2007-2012
- Nominated in Employment, Chambers Global, 2009-2012
- New York~United States (2000)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M.) (1998)
- National Chung-Hsing University (LL.B.) (1992)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.