Min-tze Lean is a principal in the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group at Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. He has worked on a number of high-profile corporate headline transactions in Asia, some of which won the "Southeast Asia Deal of the Year" and "Singapore M&A Deal of the Year" awards at the Asian Legal Business Awards. Sources highlight his responsiveness, commerciality and the pragmatic advice he offers.
Min-tze has been recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific for his technical legal knowledge and principled approach to structuring solutions to complex legal issues, and his "solution-oriented approach and ability to interface well with regulators". A client commended: "What I like is his expertise. He knows the regulations inside out and what is the market standard and practice". He has also been praised by clients for having "strong grounding in M&A regulations and tactics", Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Min-tze is ranked in Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer in Singapore for Corporate/M&A: Domestic.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised DuPont on the Singapore implementation aspects of its merger with Dow Chemical Corp and the restructuring of DowDupont into three separately listed entities. The merger transaction was nominated under the “M&A Deal of the Year (Premium)” category at the Asian Legal Awards 2019.
- Advised West Knighton Limited in relation to the delisting and privatization of Cityneon Holdings Limited from the Singapore Exchange.
- Advised LafargeHolcim Group on its divestment of its entire 91% shareholding in Holcim (Singapore) Limited, a substantial part of its Singapore operations, to YTL Cement Singapore Pte Ltd, and Holcim (Singapore) Limited on the mandatory unconditional cash offer made by YTL Cement Singapore Pte Ltd for the remaining shares in Holcim (Singapore) Limited.
- Advised Japan's largest financial group, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc (MUFG), on its acquisition of IDX-listed PT Bank Danamon Indonesia Tbk. from Temasek Holdings. This deal was named M&A Deal of the Year at the ALB Indonesia Law Awards 2018.
- Advised AMOS Group, a portfolio company of private equity investor Shaw Kwei & Partners, on the successful restructuring of AMOS Group's bank debt facilities which involved negotiating and dealing with several banks, including HSBC, UOB, RHB, OCBC and CIMB.
- Advised Fortis Healthcare Limited, India's second-largest private hospital chain, on its proposed acquisition of the entire asset portfolio of SGX-listed RHT Health Trust. The transaction was nominated as "M&A Deal of the Year – Midsize" for the Indian Law Awards 2020.
- Advised Shaw Kwei & Partners in its voluntary conditional cash offer for Chosen Holdings Limited.
- Advised the target in the contested takeover offers by TCC Assets and OUE Bayfront for Fraser and Neave, Limited.
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers of Singapore Flyer Pte Ltd in the sale of its assets and business.
- Advised Lehman Brothers Special Finance Inc. on Singapore legal issues in relation to its swaps and derivative positions with Minibonds Limited.
- New York~United States (2002)
- Singapore (1997)
- George Washington University Law School (Master of Laws LL.M.) (2000)
- University of Singapore (LL.B., Honors) (1996)