Jose Larroque chairs the Firm’s Global Real Estate Practice Group. He has over 20 years of experience practicing in his field and is ranked by Chambers Latin America for his industry expertise, citing that “he is an experienced figure in this space and well versed in cross-border real estate transactions, particularly those relating to the USA”. Mr. Larroque speaks regularly on topics related to his area of practice, has authored a number of articles for various publications, including the Firm’s Global Corporate Real Estate Guide and Global Real Estate Taxation Guide. He is highly participative in various civic associations -- as the founder and board member of Fundación Internacional de la Comunidad in Baja California, member of the Scripps Mercy Hospital Foundation Board in San Diego and the co-chair of the Smart Border Coalition (Tijuana-San Diego), among others.
Mr. Larroque’s areas of practice encompass Real Estate, Finance, Tourism, Construction and Infrastructure & Major Projects, in addition to a broad knowledge of general corporate law and foreign investment regulation. He advises companies on the structuring of cross-border real estate transactions for the acquisition, development and financing of real estate and infrastructure projects. He focuses primarily on corporate and real estate matters involving retail, industrial, resort, residential and office development, and frequently works with clients on cross-border real estate financing and taxation. He is knowledgeable in industry and business structures, and has advised real estate funds, fund managers, institutional investors and developers, whom he represents in multiple jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on the creation of private REITs in Mexico, in addition to having designed and implemented structures for investment by US based REITs in Mexico and Latin America.
- Advised clients in connection with the formation of cross-border real estate funds investing in Mexico and Latin America.
- Advised residential developers in the financing and development of homes throughout Mexico.
- Advised developers in the acquisition and development of resorts in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, San Miguel de Allende, the Riviera Maya and the coast of Guerrero.
- Advised in the formation and financing of industrial parks throughout the border areas of Mexico.
- Collaborated in all aspects of the development of real estate projects, from acquisition to sales and marketing, to operation in Latin America and Mexico.
- Advised on the acquisition of sites for the establishment of industrial manufacturing facilities throughout Latin America and Mexico.
- Advised on major real estate leases for manufacturing facilities throughout Latin America and Mexico, including build-to-suit facilities.
- Advised clients in the acquisition, sales, development and lease of real estate through multiple structures, including real estate and administrative trusts.
- Advised on the negotiation of construction agreements for industrial facilities, retail centers, housing, resorts and office buildings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Lawyers
- Smart Border Coalition
- Urban Land Institute - Member, Tijuana Chapter
- Scripps Mercy Hospital Foundation (San Diego)
- Trans-Border Institute - University of San Diego - Advisory Board
- Centro de Educación Especial Pasitos (Tijuana)
- Fundación Internacional de la Comunidad (Tijuana)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (Tijuana) - Board of Advisors
- Mexico (1985)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1989)
- University Iberoamericana (J.D.) (1983)
- Mexico City