Aaron is a local principal in the Finance & Projects Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow in Singapore. He has more than 11 years' experience in Asia representing sponsors, lenders and investors on their energy and infrastructure projects across the entire investment spectrum, from consortium or joint venture formation to project development, financing and sale or acquisition of such projects.
Aaron's main areas of practice are cross-border project finance, project development and mergers and acquisitions, with a particular focus on the energy, renewables, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. He has extensive experience advising developers, sponsors, investors and financial institutions on major landmark energy and infrastructure project finance transactions in Asia. His experience also includes various cross-border acquisition deals for industrial companies, investment funds, private companies and financial institutions on large and medium-sized infrastructure and traditional power, renewables, mining and infrastructure projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on the development and financing of a number of large-scale gas-fired power plants in Thailand, including the 1,400 MW Gulf-RATCH Hin Kong Project, the 2,500 MW Gulf PD-Mitsui Project (Named Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year, PFI Awards 2019 and PFI Asia Pacific Awards, 2019) and the 2,500 Gulf GSRC-Mitsui Project in 2018
- Advising Newcom and Softbank on the 50MW Tsetsii Wind Farm in Mongolia, including leading the team on the finalisation of the project documents and on the limited recourse financing by JICA and EBRD (Asia Pacific Deal of the Year - Wind by IJGlobal Awards 2016).
- Acted as lenders' foreign legal counsel to DBS Bank Limited and Standard Chartered Bank in relation to the project financing of a 100 MW wind farm project in Amreli, Gujarat, India by Vena Energy Shivalik Wind Power Private Limited and with Vena Energy entities in Singapore as Shareholders and Sponsor.
- Advised Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners through its Copenhagen Infrastructure New Markets Fund I, on the acquisition of a 50% interest in a 400 MW portfolio from PT Akuo Energy Indonesia ("Akuo") and related equity funding and joint venture arrangements with Akuo.
- Advised the sponsors in relation to the 42MW Hasang hydroelectric power plant situated in the North Sumatra Province of Indonesia, including with respect to the PPA, project contracts and project financing. This project was awarded the 2016 IJGlobal Asia Pacific Hydro Project of the Year.
- Advised Rajamandala Electric Power (a subsidiary of Kansai Electric Power Company) in relation to the project financing of the 46.6 MW Rajamandala hydro electric power plant in Indonesia, together with subsequent waivers and operational issues. This was the first hydro power project financed without a government guarantee, financed by JBIC and Mizuho with a MIGA guarantee.
- Advised Vena Energy's (formerly known as Equis Energy) (Indonesian subsidiary) in relation to 60MW Tolo Wind Farm Project in Jenepoto, South Sulawesi, Indonesia, including negotiating the USD 120 million financing arranged by ADB. Named Finance Deal of the Year: Projects, The Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards, 2019.
- Advised PT UPC Sidrap Bayu Energi in relation to the US$115m refinancing of the UPC 75MW wind farm located at Sidenreng Rappang (Sidrap) Regency, South Sulawesi, Indonesia provided by SMBC (refinancing the OPIC (DFC) financing) following commencement of commercial operation. This was originally the first wind farm to achieve project financing in Indonesia.
- As part of ADB's OPPP transaction advisory services team, he advised the Bases Conversion and Development Authority in relation to the negotiation and award of the concessions for the national government administrative centre (including the 2019 SEA Games facilities), power distribution and water and wastewater at New Clark City on a PPP joint venture basis.
- Advised PT Bajradaya Sentranusa in relation to the US$230m refinancing of the Asahan 180 MW run-of-river hydroelectric power plant located near Toba Samosir – Sumatra Utara, Sumatra, Indonesia, provided by IFC, IIF, The Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation Limited and SMBC.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- British Chamber of Commerce, Singapore - Member
- England & Wales (2011)
- Nottingham Law School (Legal Practice Course with distinction) (2008)
- University of Southampton (LLB, with Upper Second Class Honours) (2007)
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.