Justine Johnston is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s International Commercial Practice Group and the Global Antitrust & Competition Group, focusing on competition/antitrust law and foreign investment review.
Justine has been recognized in WWL's Competition Future Leaders - Non-Partners 2023 category.
Antitrust, Competition & Foreign Investment
Justine advises clients on all aspects of Canadian competition law, with a particular focus on obtaining competition clearance in domestic, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions. She also provides strategic advice to clients regarding criminal and civil investigations, including allegations of conspiracy and abuse of dominance, pricing and distribution practices, and other compliance matters.
Justine regularly advises clients on the application of the Investment Canada Act, and has recent experience guiding clients through industrial, cultural and national security processes and reviews. In addition, she has significant experience working with government and public relations advisors in connection with securing regulatory approvals for high-profile transactions.
Justine also has extensive experience with e-discovery processes related to merger review, criminal and civil investigations, and internal compliance. Justine draws on her experience to facilitate client’s compliance in a timely and efficient manner.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Sika AG on competition and foreign investment review aspects of its EUR 5.3 billion acquisition of the MBCC Group, and the divestment of MBCC's admixtures business in the United States, Canada, the UK, the European Union, Australia and New Zealand to INEOS.
- Advised Onex Corporation on regulatory requirements for its CAD 5 billion acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd. In particular, obtained competition clearance under the Competition Act, public interest approval under the Canada Transportation Act, and a determination from the Canadian Transportation Agency that the airline continued to meet Canadian ownership and control requirements.
- Advised Essilor International S.A. on competition and foreign investment review aspects of its EUR 46 billion global combination with Luxottica Group S.p.A.
- Advised Newmont Corporation on competition and foreign investment review aspects of its USD 10 billion merger with Goldcorp Inc.
- Advised Altria Inc. on the foreign investment review aspects of its CAD 2.4 billion minority investment in the Cronos Group Inc.
- Advised a Canadian client in defense of criminal investigation and civil class actions related to allegations of price fixing.
- Advised a Canadian client on the competition aspects of a joint venture in the agricultural retail sector.
- Recognized in WWL's Competition Future Leaders - Non-Partners 2023 category
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2015)
- University of Ottawa (Juris Doctor) (2014)
- University of Toronto (BA) (2011)
- Co-author, "Canada: Competition Bureau releases enforcement guidelines for wage-fixing and no-poach agreements," InsightPlus, June 2023
- Co-author, "Canada introduces legislation to strengthen the National Security Provisions of the Investment Canada Act," InsightPlus, December 2022
- Co-author, "Canada: Competition law amendments prohibit no-poach and wage-fixing agreements," InsightPlus, November 2022
- Speaker, "Canada: Employers - Comply or face criminal liability on no poach and wage fixing agreements under the Competition Act" (Video chat), InsightPlus, November 2022
- Speaker, “Fresh Challenges in Compliance,” CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, October 2022
- Speaker, “Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Advertising,” CBA Competition Law and ABA Section of Antitrust Online Seminar, February 2022
- Speaker, “Competition Law, Policy, and Environmental Considerations,” CBA Competition Law Fall Online Symposium, October 2021
- Speaker, “Closing Plenary: Canada Wants Competition!” CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, October 2019
- Author, “Legal Bases for Cooperation Among Competition Authorities Chapter,” International Investigations and Merger Reviews - A Handbook for Antitrust Counsel, 2022
- Co-author, “The Public Competition Enforcement Review Canada Chapter,” The Law Reviews, 2020
- Co-author, “Private Actions in the United States, Canada and Europe Chapter,” The Guide to Energy Market Manipulation, GCR, 2018