Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Naoki Ishikawa is a member of the Firm's Finance & Projects group in Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, he worked for a maritime law firm where he advised clients on a wide range of matters, including transactions and disputes over domestic and international contracts for carriage of goods by sea, charterparty agreements and contracts for the sale and purchase of ships. Naoki also completed a secondment with a major shipping company.
Naoki's practice is focused mainly on project finance and project-related agreements, such as EPC agreements, O&M agreements, turbine supply agreements and fuel supply agreements for solar, wind (onshore and offshore) and biomass power projects, PFI/PPP, syndicated loans, lease transactions, M&A transactions, ship sale and purchase agreements and charterparty agreements. He provides a broad range of assistance to Japanese and foreign companies in drafting and negotiating agreements and preparing legal opinions. Naoki's practice also covers regulatory matters related to financial activities, maritime businesses and electricity-related businesses.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented business operators and financial institutions in project finance transactions in connection with renewable energy power projects such as solar, wind (onshore and offshore) and biomass power generation.
- Represented business operators, financial institutions and public sector entities in PFI/PPP transactions for educational facilities, cultural facilities, MICE facilities, waste disposal facilities, roadside service stations, revitalization of public facilities, etc.
- Advised domestic and foreign financial service institutions on financial regulations applicable in Japan.
- Advised domestic and foreign business operators on maritime regulations applicable in Japan.
- Advised domestic and foreign business operators on regulations relating to electricity businesses in Japan.
- Advised a foreign business operator on regulations relating to battery charging stations for electric vehicles in Japan.
- Advised a domestic business operator on insolvency regulations related to dissolving its German subsidiary.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Japan Wind Power Association - Offshore Wind Finance Task Force
- Maritime Counselor
- Japan (2012)
- Queen Mary, University of London (LLM) (2021)
- Hitotsubashi University School of Law (J.D.) (2011)
- Waseda University (LL.B.) (2006)
- Co-author, "The Renewable Energy Law Review‐Japan Chapter," Law Business Research Ltd., September 2018
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.