Seishi Ikeda is the head of the Real Estate Group in the Firm's Tokyo office. He has advised investment banks, asset managers, listed companies and funds for more than 20 years. He practiced with Aoki & Partners in 1999, Sidley Austin Brown & Wood in New York from 2000 to 2001 and Linklaters in London in 2001. He served as an in-house lawyer at a large European investment bank from 2002 to 2004.
He is also admitted and registered as a real estate notary (Takken-shi; 2018), condominium manager (Manshon-kanri-shi; 2019) and master property manager (Kanri-gyomu-shuninsha; 2019).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a US-based fund to acquire and exit an international hotels and commercial facilities portfolio in Japan involving a TMK structure.
- Advised offshore funds and investors on their TMK-based acquisition and development of a ski resort in Niseko related to the development of a large hotel resort and related facilities.
- Advised an Asian fund on its acquisition of a commercial building and shopping center using a TK-GK structure.
- Advised a data center developer for global IT companies' use through a TMK structure.
- Advised a global IT company, international apparel brand shop, large automobile company, religious entity, etc. on their office relocation, the construction of a new building, renovation and lease issues.
- Advised a real estate broker on the arrangement of offshore fund structures for investment in the Fund of Funds scheme.
- Advised large banks on finance for a hotel portfolio in Hawaii and California.
- Advised on a non-recourse loan toward commercial and residential buildings through the TMK scheme.
- Advised on global, market-specific or domestic debt or equity offerings and listings as well as disclosure matters.
- Advised a listed company on shareholder-initiated litigation related to the loss of shares.
- The A-List: Japan's top 100 lawyers, Asia Business Law Journal, 2020
- Highly regarded lawyer, Capital markets: Debt and Capital markets: Equity, IFLR 1000, 2020
- Leading Individuals: Bengoshi, Real Estate and Construction: International firms and joint ventures, The Legal 500, as Tier I, since 2018
- Ranked Individuals: Real Estate: Bengoshi, Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific, since 2013
- Up-and-Coming Lawyer: Capital Markets, Chambers and Partners Global, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Securities Dealer Association - Member of the working group regarding securities solicitation
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2001)
- Japan (1994)
- Emory University (LL.M.) (2000)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (1994)
- University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1991)
Author, "Future of Finance through the Laws," Crossmedia Publishing, January 2019, Language: Japanese
Co-Author, "2011 amendments to the Law on Securitization of Assets and their effects on real estate securitization practice," NBL, Shojihomu, January 2012, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "M&A Handbook on Conducting Business Practically," Chuokeizai-sha, June 2010, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "Q&A Financial Instruments and Exchange Law," Sanseido, 2008
Author, “Financial Instruments and Exchange Law Disclosure Standards,” Nikkei Business Online, 2007