Seishi Ikeda has been a partner in the Firm's Tokyo office since 2004 and has twenty years of legal experience assisting investment banks, listed companies and funds. He practiced with Aoki & Partners in 1999, Sidley Austin Brown & Wood in New York from 2000 to 2001 and Linklaters in London in 2001. Seishi also served as an in-house lawyer at Deutsche Bank group from 2002 to 2004.
He is also admitted as a Real Estate Notary in Japan (2018). He has passed admission examinations for Condominium Manager and for Master Property Manager (2019).
Seishi focuses his practice on domestic and international real estate transactions using fund structures, TK-GK and TMK schemes and trusts. He also handles listing-related matters and IPOs, samurai bond offerings, private placement of investment funds, cross-border M&A deals, derivatives and trust-related deals. Seishi also handles general corporate law-related matters, including compliance issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acquisition and exit of large domestic hotels and commercial facilities portfolio held by US-based fund involving TMK schemes.
- Represented an offshore fund and investors in their TMK-based acquisition of a ski resort in Niseko related to the development of a large hotel resort and related facilities.
- Represented an Asian fund in its acquisition of a commercial building using a TK-GK structure.
- Advised a real estate broker on the arrangement of offshore fund structures for investment in an FoF scheme as part of its global real estate portfolio.
- Non-recourse loan towards commercial and residential buildings
- Global offerings by domestic and foreign companies
- Represented issuing companies in shareholder-initiated litigation related to the loss of shares.
- Leading Lawyer for capital markets debt and equity (local law) in IFLR1000/Asialaw's rankings (2009 -).
- Up and Coming Lawyer for Capital Markets in Chambers Global and for Capital Markets and Real Estate in Chambers Asia (2012 -).
- Leading Lawyer for Real Estate in Chamber Asia, 2013.
- Tier 1 in the Legal 500's Real Estate category (2018 -)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Securities Dealer Association - Member of the working group regarding securities solicitation
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2001)
- Japan (1994)
- Emory University (LL.M.) (2000)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (1994)
- University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1991)
Co-Author, "2011 amendments to the Law on Securitization of Assets and their effects on real estate securitization practice," NBL, Shojihomu, January 2012, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "M&A Handbook on Conducting Business Practically," Chuokeizai-sha, June 2010, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "Q&A Financial Instruments and Exchange Law," Sanseido, 2008
Author, “Financial Instruments and Exchange Law Disclosure Standards,” Nikkei Business Online, 2007
Author, “The Emergence of New Trends,” International Equity Capital Markets Handbook, 2005/06, The Euromoney