Simon Hui is a principal and leads Baker McKenzie’s Dispute Resolution Group in Shanghai. Mr. Hui is ranked among the leading lawyers for dispute resolution/regulatory and compliance in China by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global and Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
He has conducted complex internal investigations for a large number of multinational companies across a range of industries. He is also a skilled investigator and has experience in dealing with PRC government authorities and regulators such as PSB, SAMR, NSB and SPP.
He has been interviewed by leading business media, such as the Financial Times, for his work on assisting the SOE in the establishment of compliance system as the country pushes for its SOEs to participate in the Belt & Road Initiatives.
With more than 22 years of practice experience, Simon has in-depth experience in handling compliance / regulatory matters including anti-bribery/anti-corruption and unfair competition issues.
Representative Legal Matters
International Arbitration and Commercial Litigation
- Successfully represented the main shareholder in a shareholder dispute to commence and secure a favourable award in a HKIAC arbitration. The tribunal is consisted of the prominent and top tier legal practitioners in Hong Kong. The amount in dispute is over RMB 150 million.
- Represented a German based manufacturer in defense of a CIETAC arbitration in Shanghai commenced by a key local Chinese buyer. The case is in relation to a dispute arising out of the sale contract for an equipment, which later exploded and resulting in serious loss of property and personal injury.
- Assisted a multi-national European pharmaceutical company in the defence of a multi-million dollar claim brought by its Chinese distributor before the China International Economic and Trade
- Arbitration Commission in Shanghai (CIETAC, Shanghai).
- Assisted a Swiss manufacturer of fuel injection machinery in a CIETAC arbitration proceeding against a local purchaser.
- Assisted an Italian glass manufacturing company in a CIETAC arbitration against a US supplier in respect of disputes arising out of a gas supplying agreement.
- Assisted a US-based aircraft leasing company to repossess an aircraft against a delinquent Chinese freight carrier. Assisted the US leasing company to participate in a bankruptcy proceedings in the PRC to recover the outstanding rental hire and repossession costs & expenses totaling USD 20 million.
- Assisted a Lloyds Syndicate in the handling of a multimillion pounds product liability claim against several animal feeds manufacturers in Hunan Province.
- Leading Individual (Regulatory & Compliance, China) – Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2019-2020)
- Leading Individual (Dispute Resolution, China) – Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2016-2020)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1999)
- Hong Kong (1995)
- The University of Hong Kong (LL.M.) (1996)
- College of Law, Chester (1993)
- University of East Anglia (LL.B.) (1992)