Nancy Hamzo is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in Toronto. Nancy has also practiced in the Firm's Chicago office. She advises clients on a wide range of corporate transactional matters and Canadian antitrust and foreign investment matters.
Nancy is a member of Baker McKenzie's North America Steering Committee for Cross-Border Transactions and Integrations as well as a member of the Global Healthcare group. She also co-chairs the Women's Networking Initiative in the Toronto office.
Nancy advises clients on a broad range of corporate transactions, particularly on cross-border mergers, acquisitions and multi-jurisdictional reorganizations, including pre-transaction restructurings, post-acquisition integrations and spin-offs. She also routinely advises on antitrust/competition and foreign investment requirements in Canada.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a global biotechnology company on a post-acquisition integration matter involving over 70 jurisdictions.
- Advised Baxter International Inc. on the international aspects of the spinoff of its bioscience business into a new NYSE-listed company, Baxalta Incorporated.
- Advised on the Canadian legal implementation of the separation of Abbott Laboratories' research-based pharmaceuticals business which included the portfolio of proprietary pharmaceuticals and biologics into AbbVie Corporation.
- Advised Abbott Laboratories in Canada in connection with its post-acquisition integration with Solvay S.A.
- Advised Kellogg Company as Canadian counsel on its purchase of Pringles from The Procter & Gamble Company.
Antitrust and Foreign Investment
- Advised a state-owned enterprise on merger control, foreign investment and other regulatory approvals worldwide for its acquisition of control of the former Canadian monopoly grain marketing board through a joint venture with a US-based global agribusiness and food company.
- Represented Dentsu Inc., a Japanese advertising and public relations company, in obtaining Canadian merger clearance for its CAD 5 billion acquisition of UK-based media and digital marketing communications firm Aegis plc.
- Advised Prestige Brands Inc. on the Canadian merger control aspects of its CAD 660 million acquisition of substantially all the North American OTC product portfolio of GlaxoSmithKline plc, through a competitive auction.
- Recognized as a Lexpert "Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40" in Canada, 2017
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2008)
- University of Ottawa (Bachelor of Commerce with Honors)