Nancy Hamzo is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in Toronto. Nancy has been recognized as a Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40 and as a key lawyer in Legal 500 Canada 2020 for M&A. Nancy has practiced in the Firm's Chicago office working on cross border transactions. She advises clients on a wide range of complex corporate transactional matters and Canadian antitrust and foreign investment matters.
Nancy is a member of Baker McKenzie's North America Steering Committee for Cross-Border Transactions and Integrations as well as a member of the Global Healthcare group. She also co-chairs the Women's Networking Initiative in the Toronto office.
Nancy advises clients on a broad range of corporate transactions, particularly on cross-border mergers, acquisitions and multi-jurisdictional reorganizations, including pre-transaction restructurings, post-acquisition integrations and spin-offs. She also routinely advises on antitrust/competition and foreign investment requirements in Canada.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised Brookfield Business Partners L.P. on all non-US legal matters and implementation of its USD 13.2 billion acquisition of the Power Solutions business of Johnson Controls International.
Represented Camso Inc. on its USD 1.7 billion sale to The Michelin Group. The transaction spanned over 28 jurisdictions.
Advised a global biotechnology company on a post-acquisition integration matter involving over 70 jurisdictions.
Advised Baxter International Inc. on the international aspects of the spinoff of its bioscience business into a new NYSE-listed company, Baxalta Incorporated.
Advised on the Canadian legal implementation of the separation of Abbott Laboratories' research-based pharmaceuticals business which included the portfolio of proprietary pharmaceuticals and biologics into AbbVie Corporation.
Advised Abbott Laboratories in Canada in connection with its post-acquisition integration with Solvay S.A.
Antitrust and Foreign Investment
Advised DIF Capital Partners on the Canadian foreign investment and merger control filings in connection with its acquisition, through DIF Infrastructure V, of BluEarth Renewables LP from Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan.
Represented Camso Inc. on the merger control and foreign investment filings required in connection with its sale to The Michelin Group.
Advised a state-owned enterprise on merger control, foreign investment and other regulatory approvals worldwide for its acquisition of control of the former Canadian monopoly grain marketing board through a joint venture with a US-based global agribusiness and food company.
Advised Prestige Brands Inc. on the Canadian merger control aspects of its CAD 660 million acquisition of substantially all the North American OTC product portfolio of GlaxoSmithKline plc, through a competitive auction.
- Identified as a key lawyer in Legal 500 Canada 2020 for M&A
- Recognized as a Lexpert "Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40" in Canada, 2017
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2008)
- University of Ottawa (Bachelor of Commerce with Honors)
- Moderator, "Transforming Enterprises: Unlocking Value Through Spin-Offs," Bloomberg BNA & Baker McKenzie conference, 2016-2017
- Co-author, "Global Transparency Trends and Beneficial Ownership Disclosure," International Comparative Legal Guide on Corporate Governance Laws and Regulations, July 2020
- Co-author, "Balancing Interests in Carve-Out Transactions", Bloomberg Law, May 2020
- Co-author, Canada: Pharmaceuticals, "The Antitrust Review of the Americas," Global Competition Review, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016