Nancy Hamzo is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in Toronto. Nancy has been recognized as a Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40 and as a key lawyer in Legal 500 Canada 2020 for M&A. Nancy has practiced in the Firm's Chicago office working on cross border transactions. She advises clients on a wide range of complex corporate transactional matters and Canadian antitrust and foreign investment matters.
Nancy is a member of Baker McKenzie's North America Steering Committee for Cross-Border Transactions and Integrations as well as a member of the Global Healthcare group. She also co-chairs the Women's Networking Initiative in the Toronto office.
Nancy advises clients on a broad range of corporate transactions, particularly on cross-border mergers, acquisitions and multi-jurisdictional reorganizations, including pre-transaction restructurings, post-acquisition integrations and spin-offs. She also routinely advises on antitrust/competition and foreign investment requirements in Canada.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised Affirm, Inc. on its acquisition of PayBright Inc. for total cash and equity consideration of CAD 340 million.
Advised Brookfield Business Partners LP, the private equity arm of Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in the USD 230 million sale of BGRS to Relo Group.
Advised Brookfield Business Partners LP, the private equity arm of Brookfield Asset Management Inc. on all non-US legal matters and implementation of its USD 13.2 billion acquisition of the Power Solutions business of Johnson Controls International.
Represented Camso Inc. on its USD 1.7 billion sale to The Michelin Group. The transaction spanned over 28 jurisdictions.
Advised a global biotechnology company on a post-acquisition integration matter involving over 70 jurisdictions.
Advised Baxter International Inc. on the international aspects of the spinoff of its bioscience business into a new NYSE-listed company, Baxalta Incorporated.
Advised on the Canadian legal implementation of the separation of Abbott Laboratories' research-based pharmaceuticals business which included the portfolio of proprietary pharmaceuticals and biologics into AbbVie Corporation.
Antitrust and Foreign Investment
Advised DIF Capital Partners on the Canadian foreign investment and merger control filings in connection with its acquisition, through DIF Infrastructure V, of BluEarth Renewables LP from Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan.
Represented Camso Inc. on the merger control and foreign investment filings required in connection with its sale to The Michelin Group.
Advised a state-owned enterprise on merger control, foreign investment and other regulatory approvals worldwide for its acquisition of control of the former Canadian monopoly grain marketing board through a joint venture with a US-based global agribusiness and food company.
Advised Prestige Brands Inc. on the Canadian merger control aspects of its CAD 660 million acquisition of substantially all the North American OTC product portfolio of GlaxoSmithKline plc, through a competitive auction.
- Identified as a key lawyer in Legal 500 Canada 2021 for Corporate & M&A
- Identified as a key lawyer in Legal 500 Canada 2021 for Competition & Antitrust
- Identified as a key lawyer in Legal 500 Canada 2020 for Corporate & M&A
- Recognized as a Lexpert "Rising Star: Leading Lawyer Under 40" in Canada, 2017
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2008)
- University of Ottawa (Bachelor of Commerce, with Honors)
- Moderator, "Transforming Enterprises: Unlocking Value Through Spin-Offs," Bloomberg BNA & Baker McKenzie conference, 2016-2017
- Co-author, "Tips to Make Your Carve-Out Transaction Stand Out," Bloomberg Law, July 2021
- Author, "A Canadian Perspective - The 2021 US and Canadian M&A Landscape," Deal Lawyers Magazine, March-April 2021
- Co-author, "Global Transparency Trends and Beneficial Ownership Disclosure," International Comparative Legal Guide on Corporate Governance Laws and Regulations, July 2020
- Co-author, "Balancing Interests in Carve-Out Transactions," Bloomberg Law, May 2020
- Co-author, Canada: Pharmaceuticals, "The Antitrust Review of the Americas," Global Competition Review, 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016