Rick Hammett represents employers in labor and litigation matters throughout the United States, including administrative proceedings before the EEOC, NLRB, DOL, OFCCP and state agencies. He has represented employers in jury and bench trials in US state and federal courts, and has argued before both federal and state courts of appeals. Mr. Hammett is the former managing partner of the Firm’s North America region and served as a member of the Firm's Policy Committee. He was also the chairman of the Firm’s North America Employment and Compensation practice, as well as member of the Global Employment and Compensation Steering Committee. Mr. Hammett is certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is recommended by Legal 500 and has been selected as a BTI Client Service All-Star, a Texas Super Lawyer in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine, and named one of Houston’s top lawyers by H Texas magazine. He is also cited in Who's Who Legal: Pensions & Benefits 2015.
Mr. Hammett counsels clients and handles litigation, including class actions, on issues involving employment discrimination, corporate compliance, ERISA, wrongful discharge, trade secrets and non-competition agreements, whistleblowing, federal contract compliance and glass ceiling audits, disability access, wage and hour standards, and on a variety of other issues under state and federal laws governing the employment relationship. His practice emphasizes labor policy planning and litigation relating to acquisitions, mergers, plant closings, and other major business transactions. Mr. Hammett has extensive experience representing employers in financial restructurings and in bankruptcy, including the resolution of labor claims and the restructuring of collective bargaining agreements. He also has substantial experience representing clients in traditional labor matters under both the National Labor Relations Act and the Railway Labor Act, and in cases governed by OSHA and other workplace safety laws. Experienced in arbitrating numerous labor and employment cases in both union and non-union settings, Mr. Hammett regularly assists multinational corporations in developing and implementing global employment strategies and corporate compliance programs for both domestic and foreign labor and employment laws.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Committee on the Practice & Procedures under the National Labor Relations Act
- American Bar Association - Committee on Federal Labor Standards Legislation
- American Bar Association - Committee on Employee Benefits
- Houston Management Lawyers Forum - Member
- American Bar Association - Committee on Occupational Safety & Health Law
- American Bar Association - Committee on the Development of the Law under the National Labor Relations Act
- American Bar Association - Committee on Railway & Airline Labor Law
- State Bar of Georgia - Member
- American Bar Association - Committee on State Labor & Employment Law Developments
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2017)
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (2016)
- Illinois~United States (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit~United States (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (1998)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (1998)
- Texas~United States (1997)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (1987)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (1987)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1987)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia~United States (1984)
- Georgia~United States (1983)
- Wake Forest University (JD, Distinction) (1983)
- Furman University (BA) (1977)
Presenter, "Today’s Whistleblower: Update on Employment Law Implications of Sarbanes Oxley and Other Whistleblower Causes of Action"
Presenter, "On the Horizon: Overview of Issues in Traditional Labor Law"
Presenter, "Countdown to Compliance: Final Regulations on FLSA Overtime Coverage"
Presenter, "Corporate Governance Programs - The Global Employer’s Perspective"
Presenter, "Maximizing Labor and Employment Opportunities in Domestic Mergers and Acquisitions"
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.