Heiko Haller has represented clients in more than 40 international arbitration cases involving disputes that arise during major infrastructure, construction and IT outsourcing projects. He is particularly experienced in disputes involving large energy projects, such as the construction of nuclear power plants and offshore wind farms.
Heiko co-chairs Baker McKenzie's German-Austrian Dispute Resolution Group. He also advises pharmaceutical companies in contractual disputes and serves as an arbitrator in M&A-related disputes under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce and German Institute of Arbitration. In Who’s Who Legal 2020 Heiko is "highly recommended" by peers as being "very strong with disputes in the pharmaceutical industry." He "knows the game" and is "one of the best you can find", and he is "knowledgeable arbitration lawyer" with a "very bright mind". Heiko is recognized for his "clear written communication and negotiation skills" in Legal 500 (2015) while "Clients praise Heiko Haller for his commercial mindset" in Chambers Global (2017).
Heiko's experience working on a variety of cases and solid grasp of engineering concepts have given him a deep understanding of the entire energy chain, from production of raw materials and power generation to energy transmission and storage. This industry knowledge enables him to get up to speed on the technical and commercial aspects of cases quickly, develop winning legal strategies for clients and help them minimize losses or maximize profits.
To help clients make more informed decisions about whether to invest in a dispute and to ensure they get the best return on their investment, Heiko and his team put each case through a risk analysis to calculate the probability that they will prevail on their claims. Heiko also uses this assessment to determine which aspects of the case to focus on and where to invest in expert opinions to achieve the greatest outcome.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully defended an energy company against EUR 400 million in claims that it had failed to fulfill its contract to construct a first-of-its-kind offshore windfarm in the North Sea. Positioned the energy company to reach a favorable settlement with the project company.
- Won EUR 60 million in damages for a construction company that filed claims against a project company for failing to provide the proper components for an offshore wind farm the construction company was hired to install. The damage award mitigated the extra costs the construction company had accrued because of the disruptions to the project. Also successfully defended the construction company against EUR 200 million in counterclaims for non-performance.
- Overcame a weak legal position to successfully defend a multinational company against EUR 65 million in claims that it had failed to fulfill its contract to provide IT services for a major bank.
- Won EUR 3 million in damages on behalf of a German pharmaceutical company that sued its joint venture partner for terminating an agreement to distribute its drugs in South Korea and developing a similar product. Enforced the arbitration award through the South Korean courts after the South Korean company refused to pay.
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration Counsel, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global
- Tier 1 practice lead in arbitration, The Legal 500 Europe
- "Extremely sharp and efficient lawyer", Who's Who Legal Germany - Arbitration
- National Leader Arbitration and Global Future Leader Arbitration, Who's Who Legal
- Top Attorney 2021 – Arbitration, Wirtschaftswoche 2021
- Among the "Best Lawyers in Germany" in "Arbitration and Mediation, Litigation", Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers
- Leading Name in Arbitration, JUVE 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Institution for Arbitration (DIS) - Member
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) - Member
- Germany (2008)
- Rheinland-Pfalz (Assessor Exam) (2007)
- University of Trier (Dr. iur.) (2006)
- University of Trier (Referendar Exam) (2003)
Co-author (with Jörg Risse), "Klimaschutzklagen und Streitverkündung gegen den Staat," NJW 2021, 3500
Co-author (with J. Risse), "Post-M&A Arbitration: Warranty & Indemnity Insurance Changes the Scene", Global Arbitration News, January 2017
Co-author (with L. Reiser), "The In-House Lawyer: Comparative Guide on Arbitration", The Legal 500 online, January 2017
Co-author (with F. Kästle), "Schieds- oder Schiedsgutachterverfahren zur Feststellung eines Material Adverse Change (MAC) beim Unternehmenskauf", ("Arbitration or Expert Determination to Determine Existence of a Material Adverse Change (MAC) in an M&A Context"), Neue Zeitschrift für Gesellschaftsrecht 2016, p. 926
Speaker, "Transparenz in der Handelsschiedsgerichtsbarkeit" ("Transparency in Commercial Arbitration"), 2nd International Commercial Law Day in Berlin, November 2016
Speaker, "International Arbitration", Lecture on International Arbitration at the University of Stuttgart, Master Course "International Construction Practice and Law", May 2016
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.